Ye Styme Draggone - now with added Rocker-Valve Steam Dragon, and bsg files for draggone collection!

Ye Styme Draggone: an horrendous beeste from Besiege!

[video=youtube;3pcG2GZ48ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pcG2GZ48ss&feature=youtu.be[/video]

A different approach to steam-cannon propulsion. Not particularly fast, but more robust than some of my earlier efforts. No mods.

A work in progress - I'll upload the bsg file when I've sorted out a few issues. [HR][/HR]

Edit : bsg files for four different 'draggones' now available - see post below http://forum.spiderlinggames.co.uk/f...9575#post29575

And now presenting the Rocker-Valve Steam Dragon!

[video=youtube;HnHYQ4UQY1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnHYQ4UQY1M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

A variation on my earlier Styme Draggone design - this one uses a rocking valve system.

Fits the boundary box, and runs with immortality off - no mods. All propulsion from the front steam cannon - no hidden powered wheels...

It is still a bit temperamental, and short on grunt. I'll upload the bsg if I can make it a bit more practical.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Lol, clever

Thanks - I've made a few improvements, and it now runs more reliably and with less tendency to spontaneously disassemble itself. I'll upload the bsg sometime as soon as I've given it one last check-over - and do the same for an updated version of the original 'draggone', as well as a two-headed 'draggone' version. Not that the two-header is particularly reliable - too heavy for its own good.

Two-Header:

As promised, uploads of my Steam Dragon collection

SB-15: The original Styme Draggone, with a few modifications for reliability etc.

2HD-16: Two-headed dragon - uses the [ and ] keys to start the steam cannons (start one side, then the other once it begins to move). Runs forward and backwards. A bit temperamental, and doesn't like tight turns as the long powered axle with no differential puts a lot of strain on it.

LSD-22: A compact version of the original dragon concept - not very robust, and could probably benefit from more work. Fits in the bounding box though.

VSD-10: My latest effort, the Rocker-Valve Steam Dragon, now with added grunt and reliability. Fits the bounding box. Only runs forwards - making it reversable would probably require a fundamental redesign.

Operation: Apart from the two-header, they all use 'Y' to start the steam. The first three will all run forwards or backwards - if it goes the wrong way, stop the steam, and start it again. Steering is with the left and right arrows, though trying to turn too tightly (axles turned more than about 20-30 degrees) may stop the engine, or cause it to break. The rocker-valve version turns best. The dragons all have rear-facing steam cannons to provide a push-start if they get stuck ('P'' key) - it doesn't always work, but can sometimes help. It shouldn't be necessary to use this to start in normal operation.

Please DON'T upload these elsewhere without providing a link to this thread,

I'm thinking about trying to build a doubled-up version of the rocker-valve version, with two driven 'pistons' - one going up as the other goes down. This should help even out the torque, and make for smoother running. I don't think I can fit this into the boundary box though.

Edit: Upload for 'Long Dragon' in thread below: http://forum.spiderlinggames.co.uk/...les-for-draggone-collection?p=29682#post29682

Attached Files
VSD-10.bsg
SB-15.bsg
2HD-16.bsg
LSD-22.bsg

My latest effort - the Long Dragon:

Needs further work as it is rather fragile at the moment.

A useful tip - make sure that steam cannons have sufficient heating to glow bright orange if possible - the steam pressure seems to vary with temperature.

With a bit of work, I've now got the Long Dragon to a reasonably reliable state, and ready for upload. The most obvious change is the flywheel - turning at 2 x crankshaft speed, this makes for smoother running. At 367 parts, the Long Dragon is pushing the limits of what my PC will comfortably run without the frame rate dropping too far (it gives about 30 fps, depending on the amount of other objects in the background), and is probably about as big as is practical.

No mods to run, though I had to use the custom rotation mod to build it - so I could get one 'piston' at 45 degrees to the other.

Operation: Y to start steam, left and right arrows to steer - don't try to make tight turns though, as this causes excessive strain. Only runs forwards. I've not bothered with push-start steam cannon on this one, as it starts fine without them.

Please DON'T upload this elsewhere without linking this thread.

Attached Files
DVSD-21.bsg

These are beautiful machines! I wish I had the mechanical nous to build ones like them! Alas I do not. I am however working on an steam engine which no one,to my knowledge, has tackled yet... and after looking at these fine machines I think I will push on and try to build a working model soon.

Thanks Fritz - though I'm, not sure why you say you don't have mechanical nous, given the laser-steam-cannon vehicle creations in your latest thread: http://forum.spiderlinggames.co.uk/...s/29733-rotary-steam-engines-in-fast-vehicles

Your creations inspired me to try laser heating for the cannon in the Long Dragon - which led to a curious discovery. Not only did the lasers not seem to make any obvious difference to the speed compared to the flame-heated version, but it ran just as fast with the lasers off, running with just water through the cannon! Very odd. I think that it is possible that there is an upper limit on how fast a piston can be pushed by steam or water. If this is correct, the only way I can get more speed out of the design is by moving the point at which the steam/water hits the 'piston' wing blocks closer to the pivot axis.

Did you try multiple lasers? As the speed of the wheel increases each cannon gets less exposure to the laser to the point where I think the system hits an upper limit and no more speed can be gained. In the big dragster vehicle not only did i use multiple lasers per wheel but also maximum cannon per wheel by mounting them on the outside rim. As you can see the torque was quite impressive. Your last point about piston wings being closer too pivot access sounds counter intuitive to me -I will now demonstrate my nouslessness! - doesn't having them further away but in greater number give you more 'leverage' on the pivot or fulcrum? see... I told you I was clueless :D
btw. I take exception to your treatment of physicists! Swinging them around on ropes like that is not best practise sir!

My cannon are fixed - with one laser each, heating them all the time. As for 'leverage', you are right, which is why I originally had the steam-impact point further out. I've now tried moving it inwards - it seems to run about 5% faster, which isn't that much of an improvement. Thinking about this further though, there are other factors involved - the distance between the cannon and the piston may make a difference too, and moving the impact point inwards means that the distance is reduced at the bottom of the stroke. That may actually be the reason it runs faster. All rather complicated...

I could now make the whole thing a bit shorter, but it would be a lot of work, and it might make more sense to use the space I've now created between the 'pistons' to move the front wheels into. This will shorten the wheelbase, which should improve the turning circle, and will reduce some of the bending loads on the structure.

A different approach : fore-and-aft moving pistons.

A lot more work needed, but it shows promise. It may be a little faster than the Dragon design.

Some results with Besiege V 0.2 - the Long Dragon (DVST-21.bsg) still works, though a torch may go out occasionally. If you spot this quick enough, you can usually relight it (with god-mode 'burn objects on click) before the water spray puts more torches out - otherwise, turn off the water, and relight the lot before turning it on again. Some of my other Dragons have timing issues, and/or more serious problems with losing flames - the latter may be a bug which I've reported. I'll post updated bsg files for Dragons I can get working.

A minor rearrangement of the torches on the Long Dragon has fixed the extinguishing problem entirely. I'm not sure whether it was the result of moving the problematic ones further from the steam, or because they are going out just as often, but can relight from each other now - either way, it works.

Operation: Y to start steam, left and right arrows to steer. Only runs forwards.

Please DON'T upload this elsewhere without linking this thread.

Attached Files
DVSD21-U5-01.bsg