Using steam or water to move vehicles in a different way.

So, A long timea go, people used propellers to make things spin, they used wheels to make things spin, they used cannons to make things spin, they used fire, they used pretty much everything that existed to make things spin.
But a new way to make things spin has arrived, straight from spiderling games:

Water cannons.
What about using them to make engines? not just push the car with them, but a complicated design using gears and water cannons?
like this:

Now I want you to remember this is an EXAMPLE, it can be improved in many ways, I just made it in less than 1 minute without thinking about performance.
I want you besiegers to give your opinions about this and modify it, change it, compact it, poop on it, do whatever you want!
Let's make a new kind of engine for our vehicles!

download of the machine (don't really know why you would need it) is on the attachments.

Attached Files
vaporquemovimenta.bsg

Yeah, didn't even think of that when I made it. That's a great way to use them.
We could also use those "spinning-gear-speed-modifier-using-more-gears-things" to speed up or slow the car movement speed. (forgot the actual name)

Also, what's the purpose of those 2 ropes under the car?

@FBSoldier: Yeah, it is a bit primitive as it stands - no reverse, for a start, though it would be possible to mount another set of cannons facing the other way.

The ropes are for steering. I thought I'd try something different. It works ok, though it isn't self-centring.

Later version, now has forward and reverse. I've also geared it down some more, which seems to reduce the tendency for the gears to slip, and replaced the wooden parts in the rotor with metal for fireproofing.

Attached Files
SteamerFRG-02.bsg

I wish I could work on that some more, but I can't build anything in besiege right now. (the game glitched and starting doesn't appear ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

learno

Hahehahehzhahaheh

You caught my interest so bad with this that I spent HOURS to build a machine, but based on a different system.
Same principle but just different (you will find out eventually).

This is only a V3 (or mk3 if you prefer) and I WILL make another one to fix the only 2 issues:
1) The speed (it's worse than a snail)
2) The resistance (right now it can still randomly collapse, happens so fast, can't even see what's going on)

Even if FAAAAR more complicated, it offers a gorgeous steampunk engine effect, the best I've seen so far eh ^^
and it's also smaller, that machine is big, but the engine on his own is three times smaller and can reach incredible speeds, I highly recommend using it on builds like hovercrafts (not planes, too heavy)
but the problem is that the torches get blowed away if you go too fast, so yeah, still working on that too.

The controls are pretty simple:
Left / right arrow to turn left / right
USES A GYRO TO TURN
Up arrow to go forward

ANYWAY, here is the download link:

EDIT: It seems that when I save the machine it saved a setting that SHOULD NOT be there as it makes the build slower, weaker and stuff.
Simply remove the unpowered wheels on the out side of the front cogs (you will see that these collide with another cog, thus breaking the whole stuff)
Sorry for the bad upload D:
http://www.besiegedownloads.com/machine.php?id=21182
And there go the pictures, have fun using it.

V4 COMING SOON, STAY TUNED ON THIS POST (by soon I mean like in 1 day or 2)

Attached Files

I'm not convinced that stationary steam cannons turning a rotor produce more power, learno, though it may make the machine less likely to tear itself to bits. Part of the problem is that you can only transmit so much torque through the gears without them slipping.

Good idea with the gyroscopic steering.

I'm not convinced that stationary steam cannons turning a rotor produce more power, learno
Ha ha ha you are so right, so I changed my engine a bit, to a more.... direct approach.

I already uploaded this on a dedicated topic because it's just too awesome (yeah, I don't care about humility sometimes).

But I'm quite sure you will agree with me ;)

Arrow keys to move, no backwards.
As I already said on the original topic:
Beware turning too fast on high speeds, causes drifting. And you DON'T want to drift too much, the cogs simply can't survive such inertia.

As I promised:
+Speed MORE than fixed
+Resistance, well it can run flawlessly, unless you start drifting, maybe I'll fix that with suspensions though.

Sorry for not uploading the V4, I got carried on, I have like 10 versions of this car anyway now XD
Download link:
http://www.besiegedownloads.com/machine.php?id=21237
Pictures:

Nah, only the ground torches can be extinguished. But even then, water offers nearly the same power with this system, just makes me lag and looks ugly, so I use steam :p

However, the controls are pretty touchy. But after adding 2 more wings and making the gyro heavier, it was just fine.

Another version, with fixed steam cannons turning a vertical-axis rotor.

It has forward and (slow) reverse - though it is a bit prone to self-extinguish if you put it into reverse before it has stopped moving forward. This seems to be a common problem. Steam will extinguish torches, and it is difficult to arrange the cannons in such a way that they never get hit.

Attached Files
CS2-03.bsg

Thanks AJW for the comment though, it's true that it's annoying, that self extinguishing and steering too.

So I made a new build!

Faster, smaller, NO SELF EXTINGUISHING AT ALL!! (and even if you DO somehow self extinguish a few balls, the others will re-light em!!)
Also now features a hand brake, just in case of massive drifting but be careful to not BRAKE something HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hahaha... haha... ah.... sorry (._. )

not uploaded on besiegedownloads because it's still in Beta.

Left / right arrows to turn
Up arrow to go forward
Down arrow for hand brake (held).

Attached Files
Steam engine M V1.bsg

You should try doing like me: using chains of fireballs, or torches, works too, to make a water/proof fire.
Most of the time it won't extinguish at all, even under a stream of water, but even if it does, the chain will re-light it all!

learno said:
Thanks AJW for the comment though, it's true that it's annoying, that self extinguishing and steering too.

So I made a new build!

Faster, smaller, NO SELF EXTINGUISHING AT ALL!! (and even if you DO somehow self extinguish a few balls, the others will re-light em!!)
Also now features a hand brake, just in case of massive drifting but be careful to not BRAKE something HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hahaha... haha... ah.... sorry (._. )

not uploaded on besiegedownloads because it's still in Beta.

Left / right arrows to turn
Up arrow to go forward
Down arrow for hand brake (held).

I like that it's a low enough block count to run at full speed, and it's small enough to navigate the levels. I thought of the name for it you might like: The Mohawk!