Tutorial ~ How to Use and Create a Custom Skin Pack

Von

Administrator
Staff member
So now that Besiege allows the use of custom Skin Packs to replace the vanilla textures and models of blocks, we thought it would be a good idea to create a simple guide explaining how it all works.

How to get textures/models to show up and indeed use them in game

If you are using steam workshop, this couldn't be easier, all you have to do is subscribe to a Skin Pack on the Besiege workshop page and your done! (You may now skip to step 3)

If your not using the Steam version of Besiege or you want to add your own models and textures into the game you will need to do the following:

Step 1. Download a pack or find a texture/model you wish to use in game. (The texture only needs to be a simple image file like a png)

Step 2. If you've downloaded a pack then all you need to do is copy all the folders/files that are included into the 'Skins' folder which is located inside Besiege_data in the Besiege installation directory. (If your using a Mac, explore the .app to find the Skins folder)

If you didn't download a pack then you will need to create a folder, titled with the name of the pack you want to create, in the skins folder. Then you will need to create a folder with the name of the specific block you wish to apply your model or texture to. The names of all the blocks and what their folders should be called can be found here:
ArmorPlateLarge
ArmorPlateRound
ArmorPlateSmall
Ballast
BallJoint
Balloon
Bomb
BombHolder
Boulder
Brace
Cannon
CircularSaw
CogLargeUnpowered
CogMediumPowered
CogMediumUnpowered
Decoupler
DoubleWoodenBlock
Drill
FlameBall
Flamethrower
FlyingBlock
Grabber
Grenade
GripPad
HalfPipe
Hinge
LargeWheel
LargeWheelUnpowered
MetalBall
MetalBlade
Piston
Plow
Propeller
Rocket
RopeWinch
ShrapnelCannon
SingleWoodenBlock
Slider
SmallPropellor
SmallWheel
Spike
SpinningBlock
Spring
StartingBlock
SteeringBlock
SteeringHinge
Suspension
Swivel
Torch
WaterCannon
Wheel
WheelUnpowered
Wing
WingPanel
WoodenPanel
WoodenPole

All you have to do then is copy your models and or textures into the folder of the block you wish to replace.

Step 3. Load up the game, enter a level and make sure that the 'Skins' option is turned on in the panel where the god tools are located. This option should turn on by default when you add a skin pack to the game but check just to make sure.

Step 4. Double clicking on a block will now open a small menu from which you can select the skin you wish to use on the next block you place. If you would like to apply a skin to all the blocks on your machine, that are this type, then click the little cog icon. Clicking the cog will open the 'Skin Packs' management display, then all you need to do is hover over the pack you want to apply and select the paint bucket icon to apply it to your machine's blocks.

And that's it! Your done!

Saving your machine will also save the skins that you are using. Note that this does not mean that the skins will be included in the save file, it only means that the save file remembers which skins it should be using.

How to create skin packs for Besiege

Unfortunately we don't have a detailed guide for you on how to create skin packs for Besiege, but we do have some basic information which should help you figure it out! We do hope to publish a video after the update which will hopefully make things a little easier to follow.
The first thing to note is that you don't have to have a custom model and texture, you can just add a texture and it will be applied to the vanilla model. Likewise you can just add a custom model and the vanilla texture will be applied to it.

Formats and Specs:
Supported texture formats: .jpg, .jpeg and .png
- Textures should be kept in a square format and preferably match binary, for example 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, etc.

Supported model formats: .obj
- Models should be have 250-1000 triangles (tris), with 1000 being a highly detailed or large model.

We highly recommend that you use Blender for the creation of your models, its a bit of software and easy to get to grips with.
When exporting your model, you should export it as a .obj and we recommend the following settings:

Please also note that packs named "Template" will never be loaded by the game.

Last edited:

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
A whole new subforum for skin-packs? Awesome :3

Shade

I can draw textures for skins but not model, I'm wondering if you can give us the template for the default texture?
So I can just edit the default skin template and use the same model

I'm having a hard time uploading models to the workshop. In game they work just fine and i even upload custom textures, but models just refuse to upload

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Sgt_Pugsly said:
Uh, is it just me or if you download too many skin packs from the workshop, besiege only crashes when loading?
Since it has to load all the skins into memory, having too many downloaded will use up your allocated ram.

Hey all, is it possible to make a custom collider model ? (I would like to have a glass hemisphere which can hold a small ball -or other stuff- in it)

Is there any way that I can change the skin of all of the parts on an already built machine?
1. activate skins (if not already done)
2. click on the thin bar, that is above each block in the "inventory" at the bottom (skins written on it)
3. click on the cog in the bottom right (manage skin packs)
4. now you have the overview with all your skins
5. press on this: (the thing left from the text. apply pack to machine) but remember that not all skins have a texture for every block, so it is possible that some blocks will stay the same as before
skin-apply.png