Trigger explosions with checkpoints.

I've a sick monster truck 1v1 track that needs some pyro. I'd like to use the checkpoints to trigger some exploding barrels. I've tried "Activating" the object in question upon entering the checkpoint, but nothing happens.

Ideas? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
I've a sick monster truck 1v1 track that needs some pyro. I'd like to use the checkpoints to trigger some exploding barrels. I've tried "Activating" the object in question upon entering the checkpoint, but nothing happens.

Ideas? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
You can try activating fireballs next to the exploding barrels then deactivate them when the barrels explode

You can also put an object under the ground and the trigger makes it move fast and collide with the barrel before getting back to is position.
The good point is: you would make the entire thing work without visibly making the barrel jump and crash itself.
But it's still a trick that require an indirect action to trigger what a barrel is supposed to do: explode. A dedicated command is what we need to make good working levels.

Sanpyr

You can also put an object under the ground and the trigger makes it move fast and collide with the barrel before getting back to is position.
The good point is: you would make the entire thing work without visibly making the barrel jump and crash itself.
But it's still a trick that require an indirect action to trigger what a barrel is supposed to do: explode. A dedicated command is what we need to make good working levels.
it doesn't visibly jump, the force takes place in 0.01 of a second, it's essentially instant even at low timescales
but yeah we need more commands

Very cool. is there a master list of variables?
This is not a specific variable that makes the barrel explode, he just called "boom" a variable, and used it to trigger a mouvement to the barrel so it crushes on the floor and blows up. No master list of premade variables.

Sanpyr

This is not a specific variable that makes the barrel explode, he just called "boom" a variable, and used it to trigger a mouvement to the barrel so it crushes on the floor and blows up. No master list of premade variables.
correct. :p
I could have as easily called it 'efaiuwhefoquv' as I could have called it 'boom'.
even cooler, you can make local variables, meaning that if you want multiple logic gates, or something like that, you don't need tons of variables.
now all we need are logic (i.e, if variable A > B, then C, elseif B > A then D), and more complex operations on variables.
it shouldn't even be that hard to do it, considering unity has a vast array of functions built in (mathf.pingpong, mathf.abs, etc) that do mathematical functions.