Steering Hinges & Steering Blocks Need A Return To Center Option

I know this isn’t a fun addition, I know this won’t inspire you to make some amazing machine that can climb walls or whatever, but I still think it’s important. Despite the fact that there are many mechanisms and methods we can use for steering, steering blocks and steering hinges are specifically intended for steering, but they’re terrible at it because they can’t drive straight after turning.

Now, I understand as much as the next player that this game is about creating within the limits that are set for you, but I don’t think the ability to drive straight using what is intended to be the default steering method is unreasonable. All we need, and I’m sure it would be a relatively simple addition, is a return to centre option for steering hinges and steering blocks. That way they will drive straight when you aren’t telling them to turn.

Frankly I don’t think it would be too much to say that this is one of the things that needs to be included in the game before it’s completed. It's as important as brakes for your wheels so you don't keep rolling when you want to stop.

Sanpyr

hmm, maybe. the mechanisms that are used for steering (excluding the quantum rudder, but that is using a glitch so it doesn't count) are either inefficient or big, a return to center option might be a good idea, also a angle limit option for the steering block perhaps?
it could possibly be a option like the angle limit on a steering hinge, with a speed and (possibly) a angle to return to.

A limit angle option and maybe also return to center would definitely be very useful and almost necessary for builds that use both the steering block and the steering hinge.

This feature is IMPERATIVE. It's something so simple yet so convenient and actually indispensable for planes with conventional control surfaces like ailerons and elevators. This game needs a "return to neutral" option AND the option to set custom rotation amount for steering blocks. Honestly it's baffling that these features aren't in the game yet, I shouldn't need a mod to set a steering block to only rotate 20 degrees maximum and return to center with no player input.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
IIRC there are vanilla building tricks you can do to get RTC

Building tricks just increase block count. Return to center steering (and everything else you could want) is possible with ACM. Just make a key axis and put the gravity above 0. I can't praise this mod enough, so use it! ACM creations don't work in Multiverse until Modloader is updated tough.

While mods are nice, I really want to see this in the game itself. At least angle restrictions for the steering block seems like a basic thing to have, especially considering that the hinges also have restrictions.

While mods are nice, I really want to see this in the game itself. At least angle restrictions for the steering block seems like a basic thing to have, especially considering that the hinges also have restrictions.
Yeah it's a bit dumb that steering hinges have it but steering blocks don't.

rtc mechanism uses on average 7 pieces: 2 pistons, a block to attach the pistons to, a brace to hold the piston together, another brace to take the motion to the control surface which needs at least 2 other pieces, a hinge and a swivel if you multiply by the number of control surfaces an airplane have (2 ailairons 1 elevator and min 1 rudder ) it is gonna be 28 pieces, if we get a rtc block we could cut it down to 4...

Yay! A necro'd thread!

RTC would also be AMAZING for reloading. You would only need to press 1 button, instead of 2, and you could cut the reload mechanism block count by a huge amount as well.