Spamming problem need to be addressed

Well, wouldn't an IP ban work?

What about complicated captchas? Audio ones, even, if needed.

Or maybe a question, like "What is the 3rd letter in the word 'Besiege'?". And the user would have to input "s".

1. IP bans won't work, they most likely continually change their IP
2. These are real people spamming, not bots, they would probably be able to pass the captcha, even an audio one.
3. See #2

I agree, this is a problem that needs to be addressed, how about when you flag something, it disapears from the forum until an admin can review the content and decide whether or not it should be permanently deleted.

spaar

TesseractCat said:
I agree, this is a problem that needs to be addressed, how about when you flag something, it disapears from the forum until an admin can review the content and decide whether or not it should be permanently deleted.
That has incredibly much potential for abuse though. Somebody could just start flagging posts they don't like and while they would eventually come back, they would be gone at first which would still be bad enough.

Von

Administrator
Staff member
TesseractCat said:
This was an idea I thought about doing, having like a a counter, if more than say 5 people report something it gets taken down.
Trouble is I'm not sure that this feature exists and having the "minimum reports" is still open to the kinds of abuse that Spaar mentioned.

I think really we need to accept that spam is a fact of life and perhaps I can find some more people to take up moderation responsibilities that aren't on the same timezone.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Von said:
This was an idea I thought about doing, having like a a counter, if more than say 5 people report something it gets taken down.
Trouble is I'm not sure that this feature exists and having the "minimum reports" is still open to the kinds of abuse that Spaar mentioned.

I think really we need to accept that spam is a fact of life and perhaps I can find some more people to take up moderation responsibilities that aren't on the same timezone.
You could try this for users that have less than one week since their first post: https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=270797

perhaps some ...underling admins with limited powers could be installed? Some of the trusted people that frequent the forum when you are offline maybe. I don't know what kind of permissions you could allow them ....no bans or anything like that... but even if they could block users from posting and hide threads until you or ITR got back online to review them. Just a thought since you two are probably in similar time zones and it has been very apparent they can bypass whatever countermeasures we have here.

so you people get ads on the forums? also people that advertise on the forum?

i don't see any of that here give me a link please

i volunteer to be an underling admin too no trust me for once
and maybe stop somebody from posting until Von and ITR come

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Displayter. said:
so you people get ads on the forums? also people that advertise on the forum?

i don't see any of that here give me a link please

i volunteer to be an underling admin too no trust me for once
and maybe stop somebody from posting until Von and ITR come
Well, of course you don't see it, since we delete it...
Lately the spam has been caught by the unapproved system, which makes it easier to delete.