Spamming problem need to be addressed

So we just got spammed three times in a day and what the cluck with that

We need some way to prevent that by maybe adding requirement for creating topic, like 24 hour wait, or requirement for credibility. Or if you can perhaps allow flagging user and block by IP address.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Well, there are 4 problems with the spammer:
1. It hides behind other IP-addresses, making it impossible to IP-ban them.
2. It makes all the accounts manually (or at least don't seem to have a problem with creating them), so a better register account system wouldn't work
3. Requirement for creating topics would mean new users who aren't spammers would have to do something like that too, which might cause them to accidentally spam threads or something. (Not sure how to explain this, if this point doesn't make sense, that's probably why)
4. A flagging user system that checked the amount of flags a post gets would be possible to misuse.

I don't think there is a way to solve this problem, they always find another way :/
Neither think it is really nescessary for such a small forum, I would rather wait until it becomes a real problem, for now, most of the possible solutions will become another problem.
I think we could use the "classic" solution if it acctually becomes nescessary, for example of the forum grows a lot.
Where we choose some of the most trustable forum users and give them the power to delete these annoying spammers.

OK.
I changed my mind, it's worse than I tought.
I don't really know how to solve it, but I will do my part if I'm asked to.
weather it's calling the moderators or flagging or anything else.

How 'bout we insert captcha tests before posting threads?
Annoying, but still better than asian abortion drugs.... and... kitchens?

spaar

TekmastR said:
How 'bout we insert captcha tests before posting threads?
Annoying, but still better than asian abortion drugs.... and... kitchens?
That probably wouldn't help much since it appears as if the spam is created manually and not by a bot.

TekmastR It seems like it was posted manually, not by a bot. So I don't think that would help in anyway but wasting the time of forum users when they want to post something.

...and they are back. I will never understand the concept of some advert strategies. I assume it is some sort of phishing deal trying to get peoples credit card info? If not then it really makes no sense to me. Obviously not very well thought out either because I would assume that new kitchen cabinets and abortion pills are not really high on the average besiege'rs want list. Before the internet it was commercials on TV ...which I muted . Now its spammers, pop-ups and forced youtube ads. I am easily annoyed and spiteful to the core. Forcing me to look at something does the exact opposite of what an ad should do .....meaning that if it annoys me I will remember the product name and make damn sure that they never , ever get any of my moneys.

actully thats not a bad idea

what it can do is if it finds a person who spams the exact same text over and over again it will automate delete there profile and topics

Von WE ARE UNDER ATTACK! WE REQUEST IMMEDIATE SUPPORT, I REPEAT WE REQUEST IMMEDIATE SUPPORT! THE FORUM IS BEING HEAVILY ATTACKED BY THE SPAMMER!
WE CAN'T HOLD MUCH LONGER!

Please help us find a solution for this, we can't do it by ourselves! we need you! ;(

Von

Administrator
Staff member
I understand your frustration guys, it is proving very challenging to stop the spam. Unfortunately it seems most of it is posted whilst myself and ITR are offline.

I've tried a number of different preventative measures both for sign up and posting, none of them seem to have slowed the spammers down very much.
They're either manually signing up & posting or their bot is quite sophisticated.