Simple Collider Displayer Mod [0.42+]

Discussion in 'Besiege: Modding' started by ITR, Jan 30, 2017.

1. ITR

ITR l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ Staff Member

Update: Made it display colliders longer + you can now press ctrl+C on some specific gameobject to show it's collider

Update: Made sure it didn't leave stuff for long after deleting blocks. Fixed not applying options to new blocks placed.

Update: Fixed colliders sometimes not displaying when loading new machines.

Update: More bug-fixes, removed the cube that appears, and fixed sphere colliders being half the size of what they should be

Update: Fixed some issues that caused lag when using building tools. Should be quicker in general, and have fewer errors. Disabling and enabling the mod should fix any remaining errors. Thanks to @Redstoneman (was that the right one?) for helping with testing.

Shows the colliders of blocks, where the green colliders are the solid collider of the object, the red colliders are the triggers, and the orange are fire colliders.

Red spheres are usually the triggers that connect blocks to each other at game-start, while red squares are used to allow you to place blocks on that side. If there are no red squares, it usually uses the main green collider for that instead.

The fire colliders are where the solid part of a block on fire has to be within to light the block the fire collider belongs to on fire.

Note: The GUI and colliders don't show up before you place a block, and the visuals for the starting block collider is the wrong place.
    upload_2017-1-31_0-50-31.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    ZombieJesus and Redstoneman like this.
  2. wang_w571

wang_w571 Member

people will be happi

Redstoneman likes this.
  3. dalejsf

dalejsf New Member

this is awesome!

4. QuextArt

QuextArt Member

this is laggy!

5. ITR

That's strange, it shouldn't be that intensive graphics wise, but I guess the calculations to make sure it's the correct size/rotation/position are a little intensive.

If you have a weak computer, it's probably better to use it with only the affected parts of the machine, if you need to see what breaks in your machine, remove all the parts that can't affect it.
    And disable the mod in ctrl+m when not using it

6. ZombieJesus

ZombieJesus New Member

THANK YOU! Finally done blindly messing with scaling to make blocks stop grabbing each other.

7. Stellaris

Stellaris New Member

Hi,
    could you explain a bit more in detail what the difference is between the red spheres and red boxes?
    Do the fire colliders show where a flame has to intersect to ignite the block?

8. ITR

If a block A is within the sphere of a block on fire, then block A will be affected by the fire if it can be

Noticed that all the sphere-colliders were half of the size they should have been, so that might have caused some confusion. I've updated it now so you should download the new version and use that instead

9. ITR

Another quick bugfix to fix colliders sometimes not displaying when loading new machines.

10. Stellaris

Stellaris New Member

Nice to know.
    This confuses me a bit. Does it mean, that when I build sth "vanilla", then the game uses the red spheres to place a block, but if I then start to move a block, it will still connect if it is inside the red box?
    If this is the case, I don't understand why the wing on the right side in the pictures below does connect on the first, but not in the second. There actually is no difference in the intersections between red spheres and boxes and green boxes.

The difference between the pictures is, that I moved the wing 0.05 units more to the right.
    connects.jpg no_connection.jpg
    connects______no connection

Regards.

11. Stellaris

Stellaris New Member

Edit: I realised, that you also increased the size of the red spheres that connect blocks, and now I saw, that in the above pictures there was a very small intersection between the green block of the swivel and the red sphere of the wing. Moving 0.05 to the right was enouth to not have this intersection anymore. So it seems to work fine now.
    My understanding now is that there has to be an intersection between a red sphere and a red box if two blocks should stick together. If there is no red box on a block, it is identical with the green box. Is this correct>

12. ITR

Yeah, though not all red boxes are that type of box (E.G. the ones on the propellers), and some blocks don't let you connect to them at all.

Also, stuff I was writing but you figured it out before I could finish writing: :(
    You seems to have the version from before I fixed the sphere sizes, so in the first picture, the sphere probably intersects with the green box (Maybe there was something weird going on with the download).

I explained the red boxes a bit poorly, basically, some blocks (E.G. the wing panel), have really thin red squares you can place on, while others, (E.G. 1x1,2x1 and 3x1 wooden blocks) let you place directly onto the green collider of the block itself. Then, when the game starts, if the red circle of another block is intersecting with such a collider (If it uses the red squares, it usually won't let you connect to the green boxes, so it you will have to have them intersect with the red squares ).

That said, there are red boxes that aren't used for being connected to

13. Stellaris

Stellaris New Member

Thanks, that's a very clear explanation. Now I understood it ;).

14. Stellaris

Stellaris New Member

Sorry to annoy you again.
    When you deactivate any type of collider, a newly placed block will still view all of the colliders.
    Is this supposed to be the case? It is actually a bit irritating if you just want to build and don't really need for example the fire colliders.

15. ITR

Should be fixed now

16. Stellaris

Stellaris New Member

Really nice, it works like a charm now.
    Thanks a lot!

17. Shade

Shade Active Member

the title should be [0.42+] not [4.2+] :p

vorticus likes this.
  18. ITR

Whatever could you be talking about :V

vorticus likes this.
  19. when i start then stop the simulation with the mod disabled, it reactivates itself so i have to go into the ctrl+m menu and deactivate it again.
    its pretty annoying, especially when i dont need the mod active
    it also stays active during simulation if i dont deactivate it

20. ITR

Does it reactivate itself in the menu too, or do you have to toggle it twice to deactivate it?