Replay Feature

Discussion in 'Besiege: Suggestions Ideas' started by Zuikaku, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Zuikaku

Zuikaku New Member

People are always asking for a replay function in Besiege before and after the Multiverse update dropped. However with the Multiplayer in place, I think it won't be a very hard function to implement.

In order to sync all the players in a gaming session, the server is constantly sending information such as position of blocks and level objects to everyone that is connected through internet. I believe that if we use the same algorithm, but keep recording them and dump the information into a text file instead of sending them and throwing them away, we can store that information. And if we use another algorithm to read from this file and try to sync with an server that existed long ago, we can watch a replay. I believe the receiving algorithm is also ready to be used in this situation. These two algorithms can also be changed up a bit so that we can adjust the time scale of the replay.

2. Shade

Shade Active Member

this is a great idea.
    but im not sure if adjusting the timescale is possible to get the same simulation result everytime

3. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE Member

I like the idea!

4. Von

Von Administrator Staff Member

It would not be possible to record play actions and then simulate what happens again because the physics engine is random and not determinate.

Theoretically it'd be possible to collect all the cluster information that's sent during a session and then perhaps create a process where that can be replayed but my gut is telling me it wouldn't function well.

5. Ubus

Ubus Member

its a lot of work, but it might be possible if you track the data of every object at a given time and recreate the scene, without physics, more like a machinima. but i think this feature is of low priority, in contrast to other features like a basic mod api, wich could help to implement this feature as a mod.

6. Von

Von Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, doing a more machinima type system would be the only option really. I'll bring it up with the devs and see what they think, but as you say it'd definitely be a low priority at this point.

Ubus likes this.