Please Fix weights and buoyancy

First of all i'm not really sure were to put this because what i consider a bug might be someone elses idea of an indev feature, and if it takes the devs a while to get round to this then i'd happily settle for a mod of some kind.

The way besiege handles weights and buoyancy desperately needs to be fixed, half a large wood block should not weigh the same as a large wood block and certainly not twice as much as a small woodblock. If one block requires a balloon of 0.6 buoyancy and another 0.5 buoyancy then together they should need 1.1 balloons worth of buoyancy or at least an explanation as to why not. Braces being weighed irrespective of length is acceptable for an indev game however that weight should not be entirely concentrated in one end of the brace. a wooden pole should not weigh more than a wooden block and a large metal plate or a blade should not weigh less than a wooden panel of similar size.

hopefully you can see what i'm getting at, also it might work better gameplay wise if the the minimum weight of the fireproof ballast were equal to or greater than the weight of the flammable wooden block because otherwise the wooden blocks are kind of redundant.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
I think blocks weights are more gameplay based, rather than realism based, when they decided the weights. Not to mention most machines probably would break if the weights got changed :p
Braces should be easier to fix, I'll make a mod for that when I get home I guess.
Wooden blocks can connect on both ends, and double wooden blocks lag less, so that's some advantages over a ballast.

Ballons literally just make an up-force of 3x the slider value (or at least I think it's 3), so if the forces aren't properly working, you might have calculated something wrong, or more likely, PhysX is bugged. If I remember correctly, there was a bug report about balloons needing more of an upforce if the machine touched the ground, maybe that's what's happening?

Didn't think of it then, but maybe it has to do with static friction. I guess I can try make a mod to test that.

ITR said:
I think blocks weights are more gameplay based, rather than realism based, when they decided the weights. Not to mention most machines probably would break if the weights got changed :p
Braces should be easier to fix, I'll make a mod for that when I get home I guess.
Wooden blocks can connect on both ends, and double wooden blocks lag less, so that's some advantages over a ballast.

Ballons literally just make an up-force of 3x the slider value (or at least I think it's 3), so if the forces aren't properly working, you might have calculated something wrong, or more likely, PhysX is bugged. If I remember correctly, there was a bug report about balloons needing more of an upforce if the machine touched the ground, maybe that's what's happening?

Didn't think of it then, but maybe it has to do with static friction. I guess I can try make a mod to test that.
thanks for the info about the balloons, and a mod to fix the braces would indeed be nice :)

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Btw, do you have a specific example about the balloons?

Hello,

Braces [...] weight should not be entirely concentrated in one end of the brace
I did a quick test (swivel with a brace on each side, made in lot of different configurations) but I can't see that effect. Are you sure about that ?
That would explain some issues I have with unbalanced symmetrically built machines.