New Canon type

I have recently been playing a lot of besiege, and really gotten quite into the game.
I have been playing around with the idea of creating automatic machineguns, without the usage of unlimited ammo god tool.
That was when i got the idea for a new form of canon.
My idea is to create 2 new parts, for an entirely new form of canon. The idea is that you have a shell and a barrel block. The shell works like an ordinary shell, i can be fired from outside a barrel, but it will have absolute no accuracy, and will not be as powerful as one fired from a barrel.
The barrel block, will be the size 1 x 1 x 1, and will of cause have a hole in the middle, the size of the shells width. The shells can be placed inside of the barrel from creation, but will not fix to it.
The shell has a back plate, like a real bullet, so that i do not fall through the barrel.
One of the main purposes of the idea, is to make easily reloadable canons, with more firepower.
I want this to be a more advanced and powerful version of the ordinary canon, more difficult to make work, but also a lot more complicated to use.

I think that the shell should be customizable, but should not able to be shot with a key, like the canon.
Rather the shell should be sensitive to pressure on the back side, just like a real bullet.
The force required to shoot the projectile should customizable, or to only fire when hit by a spike.
I think that this will set up a fun challenge for the player, to create his own form of firering mechanism.
Also the power of the shell should be changeable, like the ordinary canon, but when increasing of decreasing the size of the shell, the size should also be affected. So you could have a short-barrel mortar, using smaller shells to have a differs shot curve, than a long barrel rifle, with a large shell.

The impact force of the same bullet wired from 2 lengths of barrel should not be the same, as in real life.
A long barrel should have more power than a short one, the longer the barrel, the greater the power.
Of cause there should be restrictions to this rule, when you reach a certain length, you will not receive greater power, and will actually slow the projectile down.

I really hope, that this can at some point be implemented into the game. Seeing what the Besiege community has created already, i am sure that they can come with some extremely unique and interesting creations.

Ps My first ever post, so write if the format is wrong

Lench

I really like this idea. Perhaps it would be more interesting if you had powder blocks that you could put behind the shell, sort of like they do for ship cannons, to modulate cannon power. And of course the barrel could be used for lots of other applications as well, like directing particles (water and fire), or maybe as a more stable rocket launcher. But it needs to fit into the medieval theme of the game somehow.

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
There's no format on the posts here :p
But it's always nice if paragraphs are used like you do here

Also, I wonder if this could be done with grabbers bombs and ballasts xD

Lench your idea is also really great, and i must admit my idea i maybe a bit to modern f0r besiege. The powder is really good idea, i will fit the really crude and simple feel of the game, maybe the actual shell could serve as a container of sorts, to house both the gunpowder block and a projectile in a crude rough way, to fit the setting of the game.
The idea behind the type of canon is to be able to make reloading powerful canons.
Maybe the mechanics of the gunpowder block, is to make a less harmful explosion, than the bomb, or a shock wave, to also make i launch bigger objects.

I think the container is a bit too complicated for new players of besiege. I think the powder should fix to the "bullet." My suggestion for the bullet is either a small boulder or the cannonball itself. The powder should be ignited from inside the barrel, if it's not then it would be like a weak grenade, if it were inside the barrel it would be concentrated. Also a suggestion for the powder and bullet size is 0.5 x 0.5 x 1 so it fits inside the barrel and the "stopper" would be on the powder. A small detail for the powder is when it is hit by water or the water cannon it would be unusable.
ALSO for the bullet it should be interchangeable and by interchangeable i mean that it could change to a small boulder a cannonball a buckshot(never gonna happen) or a spike(a rail if you think about it.)

Whew, returned to the forums after a long time. Getting into building in Besiege again.

I've been thinking the same about a reliable auto-feeding firing mechanism, and found a reasonably good technique to do so, no need to bug the devs for a new block xD

Utilizing firework rocket blocks as shells is actually pretty effective, using an active fire source as their "hammer" in firearm terms and letting them fall one by one into the barrel using gravity or a rotary feeder. Obviously using normal sized rockets is a practical problem (unless you want large caliber bullets), so they should be appropriately scaled down if you're looking for a miniature machine gun. You can further make the feeding system more effective by bracing or hinging rockets together and create a chain link, from which each bullet will break off easily when ignited (in theory, if they're powerful enough). You can also attach heavy ballasts or an extra block in front of each rocket to give more punch or armor piercing.

i'm fairly fresh with this idea, and may repost after i've done some testing with the rocket firing system.

Whew, returned to the forums after a long time. Getting into building in Besiege again.

I've been thinking the same about a reliable auto-feeding firing mechanism, and found a reasonably good technique to do so, no need to bug the devs for a new block xD

Utilizing firework rocket blocks as shells is actually pretty effective, using an active fire source as their "hammer" in firearm terms and letting them fall one by one into the barrel using gravity or a rotary feeder. Obviously using normal sized rockets is a practical problem (unless you want large caliber bullets), so they should be appropriately scaled down if you're looking for a miniature machine gun. You can further make the feeding system more effective by bracing or hinging rockets together and create a chain link, from which each bullet will break off easily when ignited (in theory, if they're powerful enough). You can also attach heavy ballasts or an extra block in front of each rocket to give more punch or armor piercing.

i'm fairly fresh with this idea, and may repost after i've done some testing with the rocket firing system.
The sizes are already done with the mods we have for Besiege.