Multiverse Update and mod functionality workaround

Discussion in 'Besiege: Guides Tutorials' started by DJSigmann, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
?

Was this even helpful?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I didn't really care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. This is useless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't get it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DJSigmann

DJSigmann New Member

Protip: You can have both the Multiverse version as well as the previousbuild versions installed at the same time.

NOTE: Yeah, yeah, I know, please ignore the file attachments.

Step 1, Getting the previousbuild version
    First of all, you need to go to your games library and right-click on besiege and select properties.

[​IMG]

Then select the Betas tab and click on the drop-down menu and select the "previousbuild -" option.

[​IMG]

After that close the properties window and let besiege update.

[​IMG]

You should then see this:

[​IMG]

Step 2, Getting both versions at once
    You then must go to your steam folder in which besiege is located and make a copy in the same folder. I renamed mine to "Besiege-previousbuild" but you can name it whatever you want.

[​IMG]

Then you can go back to steam. and reverse the previous build- just go back to the betas tab and select "None -opt out of all beta programs" and let Besiege update.

[​IMG]

Step 3, Syncing the two versions
    This next step is optional but highly recommended.

Please note, this step would not be possible without Shade's guide to backing up .BSGs as it loosely follows it. (Great guide btw, worth checking out)

First, open up the previousbuild folder and then the Besiege_Data folder within it and delete the SavedMachines and Mods folders (This is done so that the next paragraph can work).

Next, start the command line, if you don't know how to just go to the start menu and type "cmd" then right-click on the program that comes up and select "Run as Administrator"

[​IMG]

Then you will want to type

Code:
    mklink /J "path to previousbuild/Besiege_Data/SavedMachines" "path to original besiege folder/Besiege_Data folder/SavedMachines"
    Press enter, then type

Code:
    mklink /J "path to previousbuild/Besiege_Data/Mods" "path to original besiege folder/Besiege_Data folder/Mods"
    Then hit enter again and close the window

(Quick info)
    Programs will now treat all the folders as one folder when accessing it, but the link put last is considered as the originator, so if you delete that, it is really gone, if you only delete the other folder, it is still in the originator, also you can tell which one is the originator by looking at the icon, the one with the shortcut icon (blue arrow) is not the originator.
    Of course you would want to replace the placeholders with your actual paths. The quotation marks are only necessary if your path has spaces. For those that followed Shade's guide, you can just replace the original besiege folder path with the Dropbox folder, don't worry, it will still link to your original besiege folder as well, although you may have to partially redo the steps that you took in Shade's tutorial as well as reinstall your modloader.

You should get something like this

[​IMG]

(You could also do this with skins or other things you need synced)

Step 4, Adding it to steam
    So after you have both folders synced, one with and one without multiverse, you can click on the "ADD A GAME..." button in the lower-left corner of the steam games library. Afterwards, select "Add a Non-Steam Game...".

[​IMG]

click browse and locate your previousbuild folder and select the executable inside

[​IMG]

Then click on "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"

[​IMG]

You should now have 2 different besieges in your library

[​IMG]

This is also optional, but you can rename the previousbuild version by going to properties

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would Just like to say thank you for reading! Did I mention that this is my first post?
    I hope this helped at least somebody rather than no one, I mean, I did my best to make it easy to understand.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    jom555 and Felwynn like this.
  2. jom555

jom555 New Member

That post worked great for me! It is surprising that this is your first post!
    It was easy to understand and a good amount of pictures.
    A thumb up from me! :D

3. Felwynn

Felwynn New Member

Hey, skins directory backup can be useful too ;)

4. DJSigmann

DJSigmann New Member

True, lemme add that in

5. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE Member

Nice tutorial! Works great.

6. Felwynn

Felwynn New Member

@DJSigmann
    I ty the thing to do the same with skins, but my previousbuild doesn't seem to recognize the skins folder.

7. DJSigmann

DJSigmann New Member

Yeah, sorry bruh, I'm not that familiar with the besiege filesystem. I don't think I can help you.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. DJSigmann

DJSigmann New Member

Ok, after a bit of (very noobish) tinkering, I've devised that the skins, along with all other workshop items are located in "Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\346010". Which makes it a bit harder, as you would need a script that separates the skin folders from the rest, after which you could link them to the skin directory. This is, I'm sure, not exactly difficult, but I'm afraid that I can't help you, not with my very limited programming knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 10:51 AM