Making skins?

Hey guys, I'm a long time 3D Modeller, and might make some skins when I get the motivation.
I have two questions. Once I've put out my OBJs and texture files, how the hell do I make it a skin, and would anybody like to do that part of it if there's a good one to make and it's more complicated than I expect?
I can model and texture pretty much anything, quite easily, but just don't know the rest of the process.

Additionally: Requests?
What skins do people want? I probably wont do anything too whacky, but looking to make something widely usable, and am fresh out of ideas. I also have no problem making damage versions of blocks, also. Something that doesn't seem to be done to often with all the re-textured skins.. is it a lot more work to implement that too?

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Hey guys, I'm a long time 3D Modeller, and might make some skins when I get the motivation.
I have two questions. Once I've put out my OBJs and texture files, how the hell do I make it a skin, and would anybody like to do that part of it if there's a good one to make and it's more complicated than I expect?
I can model and texture pretty much anything, quite easily, but just don't know the rest of the process.

Additionally: Requests?
What skins do people want? I probably wont do anything too whacky, but looking to make something widely usable, and am fresh out of ideas. I also have no problem making damage versions of blocks, also. Something that doesn't seem to be done to often with all the re-textured skins.. is it a lot more work to implement that too?
Copy the default skin folder from your "skins" folder (your "skins" folder is in the same folder as your "saved machines" folder)

Locate the sub-folder of the folder you copied to with the name of the block you want to modify
Rename your .obj files to the same name as the original .obj file in that folder, then place the .obj file and textures into that folder.
(You may have to make the textures work with the same name as the original texture file, but I'm not completely sure about that.)

When you're done, delete all the folders inside your skinpack that you didn't modify, and you're done ^^

Ah much appreciated ITR! I was expecting it would be way more difficult than that lol.
Hey do you know anything about modifying the shaders, e.g. for adding refraction/reflection?

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Ah much appreciated ITR! I was expecting it would be way more difficult than that lol.
Hey do you know anything about modifying the shaders, e.g. for adding refraction/reflection?
Not possible with skinpacks