Linux and Video Creator

Anyone else running Linux (Linux Mint/Ubuntu) and creating videos? I've never actually created a video of a game before, so I'm looking for suggestions.

zodium

I was in the same situation on Windows, and I prefer free open-source when possible, but it's pretty bare on the video editing front. I saw this opensource.com review which suggested that Bender was the best of a poor set of choices. I'm old and couldn't be arsed to figure that out, so I ended up getting an Adobe CC license, but apparently that's not a native option on Linux. You may want to think about running a VM.

For recording, I use Open Broadcasting Software (OBS), which is free, multiplatform and excellent. Make sure you uninstall all codecs/codec packs first, and properly install ffdshow (skip the outdated manual filter install and get MPC-HC directly) and ffmpeg. You should be installing ffdshow tryouts (a fork), not plain ffdshow (dead).

If you have an Intel processor and a motherboard with QuickSync support, you can enable it in the BIOS and set up a fake (or real) dual monitor, then set OBS to record on QuickSync. This lets your otherwise unused integrated Intel graphics handle the recording while your regular graphics handle the gaming--it's the only way I can record 1080p/60fps without substantial performance loss and dropped frames. I'm not sure if QuickSync is supported on Linux, but I don't see why not.

I'm using ffmpeg to record video from the screen. See https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop for a short explanation.

I use the following command to record the video file
Code:
ffmpeg -video_size 1280x720 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -f pulse -i default -c:v libx264 -qp 0 -preset ultrafast -c:a libfaac -q:a 100 recordedfile.mp4
This records the an area of 1280x720 (starting at the top left corner of the screen), which matches my screen's resolution. The file 'recordedfile' will be rather large, so after the recording, I reencode the file using
Code:
ffmpeg -i recordedfile.mp4 -map 0:0 -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -crf 22 -map 0:1 -c:a copy reencodedfile.mp4
Reencoding will take quite some time, but the resulting file will be significantly smaller in size.

I suggest purchasing windows (or however else you want to get it, not my business) and getting free software on that. Linux is great and everything but for doing intense work such as recording and editing it slacks.