I'm Noticing a Trend

I know many of you will probably think I'm just being whiny and/or impatient, but I'm sure the majority will at least partially agree: as of writing this post, it is June 23, a month and four days after the first Multiverse Devblog.

I want to preface this by saying that I love Besiege, Spiderling Games are some of the coolest indie developers I've seen, however I have seen a distinct trend in update posts.

It seems that for whatever reason (and I'm sure there's a perfectly good one) for long stretches of time, Besiege will be still, no updates, no devblogs, nothing. After a few months, Recent News will light up again, with apologies and big plans, promising to walk the community through all of the new progress on the game and to release small updates along the way.

A few weeks later there might be another post, (but in the case of Multiverse we haven't even seen that) and then besiege goes silent for another long stretch of time.

Please don't mistake this post for hate on the game or it's developers, I'm just concerned that this update schedule is unhealthy and could cause the community to abandon Besiege. Players often have unreasonably high standards for early access games and I don't think Besiege will be the first exception.

It's probably very presumptuous of me to say that Spiderling should "Just make more Devposts" but at the same time I don't think I'm being irrational when I say that my favorite game could die between now and the release of Multiverse.

The Besiege developer team is clearly very small, and development is going to be slow as a result. I don't think however that there is any particular reason to be concerned right now, as the game has been in early access long enough for Spiderling to have a good idea as to income rates, and to be able to plan ahead, and it wouldn't make sense to start such a major expansion if they weren't reasonably confident of completing it. Accordingly I'd recommend a little patience and understanding. And remember that taking time off from development to post updates can only slow the release down. When they have something worth showing, I'm sure they will, but there may not be a lot to show until the multiplayer system is almost complete - it is sure to be complex and have lots of interdependencies, and probably not really worth showing until late in the development cycle. And as other developers have found to their cost, showing off new features before they are available can sometimes backfire - potential purchasers see the publicity, only to be disappointed when they can't have it straight away, resulting in the customer having negative feelings about a game they might otherwise have liked.

... I'd recommend a little patience and understanding. And remember that taking time off from development to post updates can only slow the release down. When they have something worth showing, I'm sure they will, but there may not be a lot to show until the multiplayer system is almost complete...
If you say so, but the absence of any news whatsoever sure doesn't reassure me. Tbh I'd prefer a weekly post saying nothing but "We're still hard at work" over nothing at all for over a month, but maybe that's just me.

Shade

If you say so, but the absence of any news whatsoever sure doesn't reassure me. Tbh I'd prefer a weekly post saying nothing but "We're still hard at work" over nothing at all for over a month, but maybe that's just me.
its always been like this since 2015. they always said that they will post announcement or blogpost more often, but they never deliver.
we just eventually get used to it.

Making multiplayer for a game like this is a big deal and I'm sure it'd have to go through extensive testing.
The devs are most likely doing their best, we'll just have to hang tight!

Making multiplayer for a game like this is a big deal and I'm sure it'd have to go through extensive testing.
The devs are most likely doing their best, we'll just have to hang tight!
I would agree if this was the first long stretch of silence, but as I stated in the post, Spiderling have been doing this since launch.