I Would Like Help Improving a Turning System

Discussion in 'Mechanisms Systems' started by IDontDoSiegeIBesiege, Nov 9, 2017.

1. I have created a turning system today, which is actually my first system I have ever made! :D But, I ran into an issue where the turning was very long if you know what I mean. Here are some screenshots of my system:

Besiege_11_09_2017_04_30_50.png Besiege_11_09_2017_04_31_05.png

If you know some ways to improve it let me know. Thank you for your help! :)

Sanpyr likes this.
  2. Sanpyr

Sanpyr Member

could you post the file of the machine?
    if it turns slowly, that probably means that it isn't able to turn efficiently for some reason.
    also, the ball joints on the axles don't seem to be necessary, am I incorrect?

3. Nope the ball joints weren't necessary for function purposes just for design, and how do I send a .bsg file..?

Sanpyr likes this.
  4. Sanpyr

Sanpyr Member

start a comment, click 'upload a file', then you go to the SavedMachines folder in besiege, then select the .bsg file with your machine's name.
    :)

5. Here you go!

Attached Files:

Sanpyr likes this.
  6. Sanpyr

Sanpyr Member

ok, before I tell you, I'm going to explain two things I use to classify steering: 'strength', and 'freedom'.
    'strength' is how resistant the steering system is to being changed by a outside force, and 'freedom' is how efficiently it turns linear motion into rotational motion.
    okay, so first, the main problem seems to be with the wooden blocks by the wheels, if you add a swivel to the top of the wood blocks by the wheels, it rotates with more 'freedom', in fact it ends up having too much, but adding hinges and then rotating them inwards helped:
    upload_2017-11-9_16-40-43.png
    so that solves the 'freedom' problem, but the system is VERY soft.
    this is normal for beginner steering systems, but it can be a big problem in some cases.
    so to fix this, I did a few things:
    1. I braced the wood blocks that are in the pistons together, which makes it more consistent, and increases the mass of the wood blocks:
    2.on top of the hinges, I added swivels, and cross-jointed them.

after this, it drives pretty well, I've attached the machine below:

Attached Files:

7. Thanks man! Have a nice day! :)

Sanpyr likes this.
  8. Sanpyr

Sanpyr Member

you're welcome, I love helping people with building :p