I`ve tried everything to make a biped...

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Hmm, have you tried seeing some of the other bipeds uploaded to the forum, to get inspiration from them?

If you want help figuring it out, you can also list the problems you are having. There should be about 4 critical issues that pop up when making a biped.
ITR's suggestion is probably the most helpful as some of the bipeds created here are amazing feats of farmer engineering (and legit engineering).

I have more failed mechs than "successful" ones that I have posted to the forums. At any given time I usually have about 5 prototypes in various stages of testing/development. Even most of the ones I have uploaded I do not feel are truly "successful" by any means so don't give up. Even though it uses mod blocks, I would recommend looking at the Fuller for hints as to how I addressed the most common hurdles you need to overcome .

I will try to summarize the most common things you will need to deal with ...hopefully I get them all.

1. Static or standing balance. - how the center and distribution of mass affects the mech while at rest. Can it stand up on its own without leaning.
2. Adaptive balance. - the on-demand application of force via articulation and/or centrifugal forces during stride. This aids walking by shifting the weight away from the leading leg.
3. Footing. - the feet need either traction via friction or a way to secure to the ground. I find friction pads only work while completely flat (when angled they seem to be as slippery as armor pads or halfpipes) I prefer grabbers but they also present some their own issues.
4. Articulation.- this applies to non-humanoid legs styles such as reverse joint (chicken leg) and digitigrade ( toe walkers- werewolves, metal gear rex etc). I found that the angles of the joints must "cancel each other out" , ie. if the pelvis joint starts at 45' from the torso...then the knee will probably be 45' and so will the ankle. With digitigrade walkers the joint angles aren't always like this and that requires "timing" of the speed of the mechanism to compensate. Also ...until they get fixed I recommend avoiding steering blocks for anything but very small bipeds. They start to do weird things when they have to support a lot of weight and will cause you nothing but grief ....as seen with my other chicken mech the Kestrel. It has a horrible flop to it
5. Spring step- this assists forward locomotion in conjunction with weight shifting by using a piston to push off with the trailing foot. This is best done below the knee in humanoid bipeds and above the knee in reverse joint.

I have been learning new stuff as I go and plan to use some of that to update my older designs but it is an ongoing process. I have also given up on making them work without invincibility for now....though I may try with the Fuller ...probably the best candidate. It can be discouraging in the current build of the game .....the game was designed originally for making fairly basic siege engines and vehicles so it is not an easy task to build any walker especially a biped. Good luck!

Thanks! I tried making one with corner legs (The ones that are on the fuller I think) but in the end the balance was shit and it was glitchy as hell so I deleted it. Might try another day.

maybe a kind of pendule would work.. it works on faster walkers/runners.
place them as low as possible and on a suspension block. helps stabilize for a smooth walk.
something like used on this. http://www.besiegedownloads.com/machine/25139
just add a swiveljoint uncentered on a wheel that follows leg speed and let if move the pendule to the side it stands on to keep balance..
that might work.

just made one. and yes it works.even with unmotorised pendule