Development Blog

Von

Administrator
Staff member
Today we will be launching our new development blog on the forums. All future update announcements will be published through it as well as any other information we share about Besiege's development and our future plans.

Our Tumbler has been getting neglected so we feel that intergration with the forum would make it easier to update and easier for the community to keep track of.

You can find the new blog here: http://forum.spiderlinggames.co.uk/blogs/besiege-dev-blog

Hi i have a problem. i' playing on iMac. I bought besiege and i can't play. When the game starts i have black screen and no music, adn it's not responding. Please help!!

Von

Administrator
Staff member
rdsqc22 said:
Is there an ETA on when the Humble Store version will be ready?
I'm sorry to say that we don't at the moment, we're hoping to get the builds updated today but we've hit a bit of a snag with them. I will keep this thread updated and there will be an announcement on twitter when they're ready.

Sorry for the delay guys.

Von said:
I'm sorry to say that we don't at the moment, we're hoping to get the builds updated today but we've hit a bit of a snag with them. I will keep this thread updated and there will be an announcement on twitter when they're ready.

Sorry for the delay guys.
Ah well, I guess I'll just have to work on my thesis instead of playing Besiege. Woe is me.

If I PM you my Humble Store purchase key to prove I bought the game will you PM me the finished build? :)

First off I have now bought Besiege through Steam. I procured the game before that thinking at the time it was free, silly me. Once I found out it isn't a freebie, I bought it straight away.
I know Steam is a single desk solution for game developers and has other features devs like so they can focus on making a game & making it better without most of the hassles of marketing and updates.
That said, I hate Steam with a passion. It is intrusive, finicky, buggy , probably a lot of other things but it is also bandwidth greedy. Before it will install or run a game it expects to update itself and take its own sweet time doing it, freezing at times with no outward sign it has spasmed. Many people do not have the bandwidth to update gigabytes of data for a game they bought and sometimes they have the (useless) DVD to prove it. My gaming PC doesn't and never will have free access to the net. It is not situated where that can happen and can't be moved and I don't want it moved. Must I stop playing games because of that?
From my readings I know many people do not have even the lousy bandwidth I have, the poor buggers. They have money to buy but who's looking after them?
May I suggest that like Minecraft, once Besiege reaches some notional threshold of sales, Spiderling allows a Steam-free version onto the market. Major updates could be available from your server, but minor updates made available only through Steam at time of release. That way it would still be advantageous to go the Steam way to get the benefits of the minor updates sooner. Surely this isn't hard to setup.
So, I don't use the Steam version and I promised myself after the last fiasco with that rubbish that I would never buy another Steam-linked game. I bought Besiege though to support a bloody good game and the people who brought it to me but will continue to use my "other" copy even though it won't get updated.
Rarely do I read 100% positive comments about a game but with Besiege, I am yet to see a bad one. This game could go to places even you guys may not have expected; it really is that good (in my opinion). Keep up the excellent work!
Phil

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Not really the right place to ask about this :p

Well, anyways, I think the humblebundle version is without steam, you can try buying that.

Or start steam in offline mode

@ITR.
Thought this might be the wrong place to suggest future direction. Hard to categorise so it can happen.
As stated - bought from Steam - won't use it - supported Spiderling - you read it - job's done. ;-D
phil

ps Under "Useless information" The word "categorise" is the English version. It comes up as a spelling error by your Yanky "changing the world to our way" web software.

ITR

Staff member
Can you rephrase that? Not sure what you're writing.

ITR

Staff member
Oh, wait, I meant more like, if you have a question about your copy of steam, make a new topic about it. Don't just comment a random user's comment :p

Von

Administrator
Staff member
Philbo Just wanted to make sure you were aware that you can update the non-steam version of the game by re-downloading it.
It is unlikely that we will add an updater for the non-steam version, very few people are using the non-steam version and it would take a lot of time to create it.

Also ITR was just trying to help, if you post a question as its own post it is more likely to be seen and replied to.