Contest Idea: Besiege CombatBots Multiverse

Discussion in 'Besiege: General Discussion' started by DOKTERDOYLE, May 4, 2017.

?

What do you think about this contest?

1. Sick! im in!

75.0%
  2. Maybe ill join

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mwah to much rules

25.0%
  4. Dont like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Boring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. YES FINALLY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Dear Besiege players!

I have an amazing idea and i hope people will join!

I have been building Combat robots in besiege for a long time now and I now have a total of 56 robots which are all super though and have very strong weapons. I used to fight them against each other by giving them the same controls, it is great fun but now that the multiverse update will arrive in a few months I want to fight other people’s bots.

So how about a big combat robot contest in besiege!

I really enjoy Diachi’s BattleSiege contest and this would be the next step!

Check out his videos:

To give you all an idea of the bots and the fights i created this amazing video. (I’m not that good with video editing but it gives a great idea of the Bots that should join and the fights that will be done )

BesiegeCombatBots ChampionShip

I designed regulations for the fights and the bots based on the way I used to fight them and based on regulations from well known shows like BattleBots and Robot Wars.

Let me know what you guys think!

Besiege Battlebots / Combat Robots

The main aspect in this will be realistic mechanical fighting robots with the use of constructed weapons like hammers, saws, spinners, flippers or whatever you come up with.
    Inspired by BattleBots, Robot Wars and Combots. You can recreate existing bots or (ADVISED) build your own to tear you opponent apart!
    Player VS Player in the multiverse.

Before the matches the robots will be rated by aggression, control, weapons, defense, reliability and agility.

Matches will be played according to brackets.

Restrictions for the bots:
    Max weight: 250 BS (Balloon Strength) (Balloon, zero string length and 250 power should lift the machine).
    Max size: Bounding Box, few parts sticking out in ONE of the walls is okay. (THIS WILL BE CHECKED)
    Max blocks: 300 blocks (At least 30 FPS at 100%)
    Min blocks: 100 blocks

20170506141557_1.jpg
    This is allowed.
    20170506141622_1.jpg
    This is not allowed

Mods allowed to be used: No-Bounds mod, Scaling mod, All types of building tools. See restrictions down below.

Drive:
    The bot can use any kind of movement as long as it moves in a controlled manner.
    Flying is not allowed. (Sorry aircraft folks).
    Max topspeed: n/a

Weapons:

Weapons may not do damage by destroying themselves.
    Weapons may use small projectiles. (lets say 20% of the total weight)
    Weapons must remain attached. (Of course it may be ripped of by other bots hehe)

Blocks:

Not Allowed:
    Bombs
    Flame throwers
    Any Firesource
    Water cannons
    Pinblocks
    Balloons
    Sticky braces

Block Limits: (These are the maximum values. Negative values are not allowed)

Spring: 20
    Cannon: 20
    Steering block: 10
    Flying block: 20, No more than 4 per bot.
    Grabbers: Can only grab the other bot for 10 seconds. Otherwise the opponent wins.
    Ballast: min 0.1 max 20
    Rope winch: 20
    Vacuum: 20
    Rocket: Spring charge Max: 10, thrust: 10

Wheels, saws, steering blocks, hinges, cogs and the drill have no boundaries. And weapons using them may not destroy themselves.

Scaling:
    You may scale a block in every direction from 0.5 to 20

The Arena:
    To be anounced

Rules during the fight:
    5 Minute matches.

You win the battle when:
    Your opponent can not move for 10 seconds.
    Your opponent can not move in a controlled way for 10 seconds.
    Your opponent lost all his wheels.
    Your opponent is pushed on the mountains/rocks for more than 10 seconds..
    Your opponent is pushed touches the edges of the map.
    Your opponent is turned into a pile of rubbish.
    On a judge's decision. (Which bot received the most damage).

Final note: All bots will be judged if they are okay to join. Upload it somewhere and share the link in this post together with a screenshot of it!

IF YOU ARE IN START BUILDING YOUR COMBATBOT!!!

Some Teaser Screenshots of bots i have built: 20170504153635_1.jpg

DatBar: Horizontal SpinningBar

20170504154541_1.jpg

BigDoctor: Vertical Drum Spinner

20170504152948_1.jpg

A-RM Flipper: Flipper

20170504153948_1.jpg

Hammerz: 40-Ballastweight Hammer

Let me know what you think or if you have improvements, they are totally welcome!

For those who think this contest will lack destruction, believe me, it wont. Bombs an rockets or catapults and stuff are very easy weapons and this contest aims for weapons that require more then just one click to built! Show your engineering skills and imagination!

How do I join?

Post in this thread, include:

Botname:
    Amount of blocks:
    Weight: (Hook it up to a balloon, zero rope, vary the lift, see at which value the bot starts to float in mid air)

The main weapon(s):
    Aditional weapon stats: (Weight, speed, whatever you want to share)

The drive system:
    Top speed:

Short summary of the bot and features:

Advantages:
    Disadvantages:

Dont forget to add one or more pictures!

Update 1
    Slight improvements on block limits
    Banned projectiles

Update 2
    Redefined all of the rules. (Thanks to Algae and ITR)

Update 3
    Projectiles allowed
    Ballast: min 0.1

Update 4
    100 M/s topspeed for bots. After some testing i thought it was not too overpowered and actually very fun.
    Automatic weapons allowed. (Saw can only be used automatic haha)

Update 5
    Rockets allowed: Spring charge Max=10, thrust=10
    Added bot application

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. ITR

ITR l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ Staff Member

Sounds interesting! I'll give it a try, I think.

By max-weight, do you mean that a balloon with 250BS would have to be able to lift it?
    And what are the rules for slider-values? Are any-no-bounds-able values allowed as long as it's not more than 10-cannon-power and can't make the machine have a speed higher than 100 m/s? (Since that sounds a bit abuseable)

3. Shade

Shade Active Member

O shit, flying is strictly not allowed XD

4. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Yes a 250 balloon with zero rope lenght should lift it. It is very nice to know how heavy the actual machine is tho.

Hahaha well flying would have a great advantages as you can just fly over most weapons, I did think of battlebots where they use drones next to the big bot. But how will you handle both a flying and a driving bot? Seems pretty hard with only 2 hands hehehe.

And the 100 m/s limit is somthing that might have to be lowered xd. Ramming bots at these speeds most of the time blow up themselves too.

Ill just see what you guys come up with!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. QuextArt

QuextArt Member

can i use big projectiles, like most of the weight of the bot and over 100m/s

6. Algae

Algae Member

First off: YAY! Another player playing battlebots in singleplayer :) There's loads of people who enjoy this.

Secondly: I'm sorry, but I'm not a huge fan of the rules.

Why NO MODS (or at least strict rules on NoBounds usage and definitely no scaling) is a good rule: If you allow scaling and nobounds, there's gonna be tons of weird shit. Scaling would also allow for all kinds of hidden stuff, and since blockcount doesn't matter, you can just put tiny balloons in your creations to reduce the weight. Also, look up Neon's creations on the workshop. He finds the strongest weapons using scaling and nobounds.

Why VANILLA without bombs isn't a good idea: This reddit tourney was fun and all, but lacked proper destruction. https://www.reddit.com/r/Besiege/comments/4ar7ud/besiege_battle_bot_series/d146ph9/
    Also, with Multiplayer, bombs will be harder to hit, so they not only look fun, but are fun to play with/against as you'll need all your driver skills.

Best rules I've seen were for the tourney by FrizB/Besiege This that he never got around to doing. I can't find the rules right now, but I'll look them up on the slack. They were along the lines of:

-Bounding Box
    -100-200 blocks
    -Vanilla (aka could be made in vanilla, it's fine if you use mdos to move blocks 0.1, 0.25 or whatever increment you can prove is possible in vanilla)
    -No flying (running away fights wouldn't be fun)
    -No big projectiles, weapons must stay attached. This rule can be amended so the host can say which weapons are okay and which are not, since not allowing any projectiles isn't that much fun, but allowing really big kamikzae like projectiles isn't fun either.
    -No sticky braces. They turn the battles into stalemates. See this video for reference: (Neutex was genius for using them, audience just didn't seem to like two bots glued together in a slow wrestling like match)

Just my thoughts on the subject. I'd be really happy in participating in any tourny, but if I don't like the rules I'll either exploit the fuck out of them or not join. Have fun either way!

(Just realised this comment makes it seem like I think I'm the grandmaster of battlebots and get to correct anyone because I'm awesome. Which is not what I'm trying to do. I've just seen that the more tourneys we have the better the rules usually get, if you look back at the mistakes of past tourneys, which is why I wanted to link old tourneys that were great fun but could be better in regards to rules.)

DOKTERDOYLE likes this.
  7. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Thank you for the feedback algae!

You pointed out somthing I did not really think of, great abuse of the scaling mod.

I will redefine some rules as this will lead to madman things hahaha.

I am going to limit the no bounds mod on certain blocks and I think I will restrict scaling to only ballasts and wheels. Big wheels are fun hehe.

I personally also think 400 blocks is a bit too much. Ill change that in 100 to 250 or somthing.

TOTALL AGREE ON THE WEAPONS
    No projectiles is a very smart one. And yeah well bombs just burn wheels and having your wheels burnt in the first shot sucks. Ill post some new rules tommorrow, then we can accomplish the best rules wich allow fun and destruction but not make it too much. Im trying to do it in a way that we end up with realistic battlebots, help is always nice!

8. ITR

ITR l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ Staff Member

Maybe a minimum scale for blocks? Like, has to be either larger than 0.01 or smaller than -0.01 in all dimensions?

9. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

I have updated the rules with suggestions of Algae and ITR. THANKS!
    Let me know what you guys think about it.

10. QuextArt

QuextArt Member

in my opinion

absolutely 2/10 with no projectiles, i quit

11. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Ah thats sad quextart,

Can you show me an example of what you had in mind. If its cool an not like instant death to other bots it can be allowed!

More people = more creative designs = more fun!

12. QuextArt

QuextArt Member

the idea was to achieve the highest momentum... as possible.
    (machine on gif is just a sketch project)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  13. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Hmmmm seems pretty sick, it would add some diversity.

It does not look too over powered as it also skids across the ground, right?

I d give it a go!

But with reaching a higher momentum why not make a rammer bot? This way you can add a lot more weight in the "weapon" what is basically the whole bot.
    80 m/s is pretty fast and 0.5×250×80^2 is hell of a lot kinetic energy. 800.000 joules or whatever besiege uses. My strongest spinner packs about 600.000 joules ans thats a massive destroyer.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  14. QuextArt

QuextArt Member

Its shouldn't cut through. Its should push to the edge where if I remember correctly should be some bombs or weapons

15. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Aaaah more tactical attack, nice to see that!

16. Spiderslay3r

Spiderslay3r New Member

Rockets and grenades are what would make this fun. Besiege's destruction is quite boring without proper explosions. It's fair to limit the amount and charge of rockets you can possess, but straight banning them is lame, and grenades are incredibly weak anyway.

17. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Its more the fact that with this contest I was looking for some more sophisticated weapons which require some thinking and expertise to be built/used. Not just a one click boom destruction block that does all. A little imagination and engineering skills are required.

Within a few days im going to post a competition I have been recording. Its amazing and the destruction is real. Bots getting totally demollished! hehehe

18. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Updated the rules with some extra spice. Keep posting your idea's for things I havnt thought of!

19. Spiderslay3r

Spiderslay3r New Member

Yeah, Ok Mr. Engineer, but forgive me for wanting a little bit more from a concept that is already pretty lack-luster.

20. DOKTERDOYLE

DOKTERDOYLE New Member

Hmmm I did some testing and the grenades/rockets did not do mutch to my bots accept for throwing them in the air (10 explosive charge).
    It does look funny.

I made a quick video about it. These are rockets with 10 Explosive charge:

More people voting for allowed rockets and grenades?