Colors: and how to use them

Did you know about Hex/HTML color codes before you read this?

• I knew, but this helped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd heard about it but didn't know what they were exactly

• I was wondering how to do that and this really helped me

• I had no clue

• I read this but I'm still clueless

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As many of you may know when you attempt to change colors of things in Besiege whether it be the color of rocket explosions or the color of objects in the level editor there's a slider with an array of colors and some obscure 6-digit letter and number combination with a hashtag(#) before it such as #ff0033 or #0037ff(Red and Blue).
Screenshot_6.png

These number are called HTML or Hex codes and obviously allow a long range of colors to be picked with a simple line of letters and numbers. Since Besiege's slider doesn't allow as large a range of lightness and darkness of colors that exist with HTML and Hex codes, below I've added links to a few sources where you can utilize the range of light and dark colors along with colors such as black, grey and white.

A more detailed color picker while a bit harder to use:

Basic colors not available via the slider:
#ffffff

Side note: This is my first post, sorry if it isn't easy to navigate, find key points, and that the picture didn't help or didn't work.

Last edited:

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Actually, these aren't called HTML, HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language which is used to code websites, which uses a 24bit color system, meaning it uses 3 bytes to represent color. These 3 bytes are basically numbers ranging from 0 to 255, which then are used to represent the amount of Red, Green, and Blue the color should have.

The useful thing about the numbers being from 0 to 255 is that it makes them range from 0 to 16^2-1, meaning you can represent them in hex, which allows you to use a pair 0-9 and a-f to represent each number, making it so you easily limit each number to be two digits without having to check for illegal values. This means that FF4C00 (which is split up into FF, 4C, 00) is the same as 255, 76, 00, as in, 255 red, 76 green, and 0 blue.

So basically, though it is hex, hex isn't exclusive to colors, it's just a way to represent a number that's often used for colors, and HTML is just a markup language that uses that representation

Actually, these aren't called HTML, HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language which is used to code websites, which uses a 24bit color system, meaning it uses 3 bytes to represent color. These 3 bytes are basically numbers ranging from 0 to 255, which then are used to represent the amount of Red, Green, and Blue the color should have.

The useful thing about the numbers being from 0 to 255 is that it makes them range from 0 to 16^2-1, meaning you can represent them in hex, which allows you to use a pair 0-9 and a-f to represent each number, making it so you easily limit each number to be two digits without having to check for illegal values. This means that FF4C00 (which is split up into FF, 4C, 00) is the same as 255, 76, 00, as in, 255 red, 76 green, and 0 blue.

So basically, though it is hex, hex isn't exclusive to colors, it's just a way to represent a number that's often used for colors, and HTML is just a markup language that uses that representation
Do you think I should change the article or leave it since people can just scroll down and see my mistake?

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Do you think I should change the article or leave it since people can just scroll down and see my mistake?
It doesn't really matter that much, since it's not the essence of the article you can just leave it be

Honestly, for anyone that already knows even a bit about hex colours or even just the RGB colour sets, this serves no purpose.
But for those that don't know about it, this more than suffices.
This was not completely pointless.

Last edited: