Cannon Engines

What do you think of finding alternate power sources in the game?

• Total voters
Hey All,

I have been on a quest to try to create an engine that works by itself with minimal user input.

Before I continue, I don't use mods. A) because I don't want to spend the time to figure them out, B) I like to push the limits of a base game, and C) I like to create things that anyone with the base game can easily go do on their own. However, I do modify BSG files mainly for block locations (rarely) and values of speed, weight, spring strength, etc.

Lastly, this is a general overview of what I have created. If there is enough interest, I will dive into the mechanics of it and create a tutorial if anyone would like (but then again, most of the people here seem to be pretty good engineers, so I'm sure you could reverse engineer this pretty easily, lol).

----------

I have succeeded in two ways. First let me mention of course Besiege isn't real life, so you don't need valves or anything, so in reality, it's fairly simplified. However, it seems that the basic principle of engines still works in this game. Granted they can't rev (physically) more than about 600 rpm before they fly into pieces (depending on the design), and really can't go faster than 180 rpm with just the cannons, they still do work. The reason they can only go so slow, I'm assuming, is because each block is technically a cubic meter. Doing the math... well you'll see. A "normal" engine in a sedan is somewhere in the range of 2.0L and it can rev to usually 6500-7000rpm. ;)

The first one here is a DOHC Four-Stroke Inline 4. I've tried doing a Two-Stroke, however, it doesn't work with the design I have.

This one is a bit more complex since I didn't know you can go into the BSG file and change the suspension to have a 0 value. I could modify it, but hey, why do that when you already have one that works?

This works off the basic principle that there are four strokes (of course three of them aren't present), but the lack of a compression stroke does help with keeping the engine moving along. One thing I will mention though is that since things tend to bend a lot in this game, there is some energy loss at the crankshaft and the pistons, so because of this, it will run unevenly. However, it does run well regardless.

Assuming that 1 cube is a cubic meter, this engine is approximately 4,000,000cc, or 40,000L. I have created a full version of this with a working clutch and starter (in the picture above), as well as a 0.25 drive single gear transmission out to a locked differential with a 1:1 drive ratio to the wheels. Also, each piston has two cannons, one on each side.

----------

The other engine I have created is technically an 80,000L (8,000,000cc) V8 which vertical pistons and combined con-rods on four journals. The are no camshafts for the cannons to fire, only a rod with (hot bulbs), so it is technically a Two-Stroke.

So, basically, it is a V8 at heart. The only difference is that there are combined connecting rods are the pistons are vertical. The advantage with this, though, it that since the connecting rods are combined, the pistons have an irregular velocity compared to a normal V8. This is still a disadvantage because of reliability, but because of the pattern they move in, I believe that in a real world scenario it would have a higher torque output. Each piston, however, only has 1 cannon, so this makes about the same power as the inline 4, but smoother and reliably.

The other thing is that if it runs below about 80 RPMs, it will start to fire and go the other way. You could literally run this engine backwards and it will work fine. Besides that, it does run fairly smooth like a real flat-plane V8. As far as the game goes, it is loads smoother than the inline 4 with the DOHC, not only because it has more pistons that fire evenly, but there are less moving parts and engine power isn't wasted trying to move the camshafts.

----------

This is really all I have. I have a Flat 4 Boxer in the works and will probably be done with it soon, but yeah. I personally haven't seen anyone do anything like this, but if there is, I would gladly like to see their design.

I'll try to upload some videos of them running as well as them moving around on wheels.

If anyone has an engine design they'd like to share, by all means, I would love it.

Last edited:

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Just saying, but nobounds let's you modify slider values without doing bsg editing~~ :V

Just saying, but nobounds let's you modify slider values without doing bsg editing~~ :V
But he don't want to spend the time to figure them out, ITR
Well, hold on. I'm assuming that you just install the mod then you can go to town in the game? I mean I think that's fair.

Really I don't like mods because usually there are machines on the Steam Workshop that require mods to be installed. I shouldn't have to waste my time installing a mod just to use a machine, it should already be in the game. I think that for modifying values (something that you don't need the mod for to use off workshop) it's fine.

Edit: Just installed it, thanks, ITR. ^_^

I didn't know that installing mods would be that easy :/. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try some mods >.>

Last edited:

Most of us are still keeping vanilla compatibility a priority. You do want to maximize the people that can enjoy your creations :D
Lol true. I've downloaded like 5 mods already.

They're mostly building mods to adjust blocks, but I have taken a liking to Spaar's Automatron Block and TDR's sensor mod for it. It makes a pretty consistent Crankshaft Angle Sensor to fire the cannons evenly. However, I haven't figured out how to have it only press a button once until a cycle (un-sense, then re-sense) happens. If it sits inside the sensor too long, it fires a *billion* times and then breaks the machine.

Edit: Never mind, found the "Fire Once" button, lol.

Last edited:

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Yes~~ Come to the dark side~~ We have rotation and scale cheats ^^

Just a warning though, blockmods are the kind that won't work without the mod installed

And a fair warning about using mods like Building Tools and PBP2, some people find scaling cheaty, and a few dislike custom rotation amounts too. So keep that in mind before going all out with mods :-P

Yes~~ Come to the dark side~~ We have rotation and scale cheats ^^

Just a warning though, blockmods are the kind that won't work without the mod installed

And a fair warning about using mods like Building Tools and PBP2, some people find scaling cheaty, and a few dislike custom rotation amounts too. So keep that in mind before going all out with mods :-P
No, I know. I used to be one of those people that hated scaling and such. I do like what you can do with it, but it is kinda cheating, lol.

However, I feel like rotation should be fair game since it opens up a world of opportunities, and honestly, I feel like it would be a good asset to have as a part of the game by default. Otherwise, NoBounds is great ^_^.