Bad Timing :(

OttoNL

Is it me or was this whole forum-moving thing timed really horribly?
They just made a fancy subreddit for besiege 2 days before the move or so?
I saw more then 1 site dedicated to sharing BSG's which are much, much more populated then this forum and many people never left the Steam or 4Chan boards.
I'm affraid this forum will stay as dead as it is now and we kinda need the bug reporters in order to help turn this into a polished product.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get some more people to go to these forums?
Maybe post screenshots of our more awesome future creations on other boards, but only let them download the .bsg's via this forum?
Kinda of an annoying to do, but hey it's in everybody's best interest if more people come here.

(And maybe with the enórmous sales of the last months some advertising for this forum would be possible? Or at least some links to this forum in the Steam Forums?)

zodium

The Reddit had existed for months, they only updated the CSS to not look like crap. It's not timing, it's just exposure.

Step 1: Move forums link from the bottom of website to the top of website.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit.

Small oversight. :v

Other than that, it's just a matter of waiting for links to start propagating around the net. You have to think like a search engine: all the popular (linked-to) Besiege forum pages are still on the old forum, but that will change soon.

zodium

It's just like how my original Chaos Tank video on my old channel is still getting 2000 views/day, while the new one on my zodium channel has about 200 total. >: (

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
Maybe people should link to this forum on reddit, 4chan and the wiki?

zodium

The main problem with the new forums is the subforums in War Machines.

The WM forum drove at least 80% of the old forum's traffic, and while the subforums are better from an archiving or top-down POV, I've come to the conclusion that it's much worse than the old forum from a user POV. They just want to see the latest cool machines, not systematically rifle through every creation ever posted, and the War Machines forum just looks dead. Users don't want to check five different forums, and so the categories are essentially useless unless you're coming at it from a much more goal-directed POV than most users are.

OttoNL

+1

The OCD in me likes how organized it is, but the lazy part of me thinks it way too much effort to check on new creations now xD

ITR

Staff member
+1 for that. Maybe enforce the tagging system or something instead?

Von

Administrator
Staff member
So theres another reason for the inactivity as well. A lot of the old forum traffic hasn't been moved to the new forum, I intended to make it more obvious that there is a new forum on the old site but we've run into a serious problem.

I'm just going to level with you guys because I think you deserve to know and I think its only fair that I acknowledge my mistakes.

None of us really being web developers, we failed to calculate the amount of bandwidth that our traffic uses. By the end of today I expect us to have used at least 80% of our maximum bandwidth for the month, in just 5 days.
We are working to move the forum to a dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth but its taking time, there is a very real possibility that we will run out before we can move the forum. So we're kind of between a rock and a hard place, the old forum's traffic is dieing due to lack of new content and we can't drive more traffic here without exceeding our limit, its a balancing act that isn't going at all well.

Unfortunately the bottleneck at this point is VBulletin & our new server provider, we could be looking at days before we can get the forum moved over.

I take full responsibility for this & I deeply apologise to you all, especially if the site ends up going down before we can move it. It makes me sick to my stomach when I see the traffic that we are losing but I'm hopeing we can do things to boost it back & with your support we should be able to grow the community substantialy when this problem is resolved.

--
We will be replacing the greenlight button on the site with a forum one as soon as we're good to go.
We will also be merging our tumbler into a forum blog to help bolster the community here.
And obviously we will redirect people from the old forum to the new one.

zodium

Thanks Von. And don't sweat it, this sort of thing happens all the time. You might want to think about a "down for maintenance" page ready in case/when it does go down, so it looks like everything is going just as planned. :V

A while back I messaged the friendly mods on the sub-reddit, and was able to get a link to the forums on the side bar. And when we moved I was able to get them to change it to the new site as well. Issue with it being on the side bar, not many people do look at it very often.
What could drive more users to this forum, (although it might be seen as somewhat poaching...) is to post a competition to win a copy of besiege, and link it to this forum... Getting users to sign up, and post their design. (obviously this shouldn't be done before the move, and it's only an idea.....)

I know I appreciate everything you've done thus far Von, and it's a shame it hasn't gone as smoothly as you had hoped. But it is good to see that a dedicated server is on the cards, and is hopefully brought online before the server goes down...

Hey guys. Don't sweat it Von. You're not loosing popularity by any means due to the forum switch. Trust me, us YouTubers and the Reddit community got you covered! Also, If it is in the cards, I would love to help you guys with anything that you are feeling overloaded with. I do some freelance web design and manage the online marketing department at my office.

Whether you are looking for help or not I want to be able to help you guys get your footing and take some of the small nagging tasks off of your shoulders while you worry about the big stuff.

Just a suggestion. Keep chuggin guys you're doing well!

ITR

Staff member
Von If you want to make it more obvious you could try making the old forums automatically redirect to this one.

ITR

Staff member
As to what we people could do, is making awesome builds, make a thread here, then share the thread on reddit or something.
Maybe if somebody is able to come in contact with the more popular youtubers that play besiege, they could urge them to try and promote the forum more or something?

I think BDoubleo Does a good job at 'promoting' the forum. As when he does his top builds, he often picks builds from the forums. And saying that they are from the forums. The sharing to reddit idea is good though, and will help with traffic flows.

OttoNL

Yea I guess this kinda stuff can happen. Good to know that if it goes offline it'll be back soon enough.
And +1 for the reddit idea. I might hold of the advertising until the forum is moved though. It can wait a few days I guess.

And yeah I noticed that too about BDoubleO, very cool!

Just be wary with advertising... sure sharing links to the reddit, but not advertising, aka, HEY CHECK OUT THE FORUMS!! HERR DERR :D FUN TIMES! THERES CATS :O ------ they probably wouldn't like that :p

Von

Administrator
Staff member
ITR said:
Von If you want to make it more obvious you could try making the old forums automatically redirect to this one.
I planned on just doing an HTML home page with options to visit the old or new forums, but unfortunately we can't move the traffic here yet. :(

Thanks for all the support guys, it really means a lot.
The issue we're having is time dealing with companies. Bureaucracy must be served and its really taking its time.
We're going to try and boost the current plan's bandwidth as a temporary solution but we can't say if it will be sorted in time or not.

zodium

If they're just not answering you quickly enough, email their accounts division/file an accounts ticket and phrase it such that the wording suggests you'll need to move off their services if this can't be resolved in a timely manner (i.e., before you reach bandwidth cap). That usually gets you escalated right quick.