All my suggestions.

(as the title says, I'll be putting all my suggestions here, I have a few and I don't want to create a lot of threads at once)

I) more cogs and cog related stuff

This one is pretty self explanatory: I'd love to see more cog sizes, allowing for more gear ratios.
What would also be nice would be a chain, just like on a bike to link two distant cogs. It would be even better if the chain had no collision like the braces. A screw-like pole would also be nice for things like artillery, as it would allow for slower (but precise) movement, and would not let the cog jitter around. Last, another cool cog related thing would be a straight piece of something with dents, so that you can convert the cogs rotation into linear movement.

II) hydraulics and pneumatics
There is already a request about those, but to me it feels kind of incomplete compared to what I envision. What I want is like real life: you have a water/oil or air tank, a pump (it has to be powered by providing it rotation), valves (once again controlled externally, it would provide a lot of possibilities for control), pistons (with a controllable length (you have a basic length, and obtain something longer by stacking it on top of itself, but it still counts as only one), and the ability to start either fully expanded or retracted), gauges (mostly for pneumatic systems), and most importantly, hoses! They could be made so that you can put two different hoses on one block, as they aren't exactly big.
But why would we need all this instead of an option for the pistons to start expanded, you may ask?
Well a pneumatic or hydraulic system allows for a lot more than that. You can stop basically anywhere you want (in mathematical terms, pistons are discrete (fixed amount of possible values. Here, it's state, extended or retracted) whereas a pneumatic/hydraulic system like I want is continuous: it has infinite possible values).
Furthermore, I find pistons annoying in that if you apply a big enough force to them (which is fixed, you cannot change it again), they will act kinda like suspensions. How would pneumatics/hydraulics help with that? Well, once you close the valve that feeds your piston with pneumatics, it is definitely NOT going to move: water cannot be compressed. With pneumatics, you can control the amount of force that is going to make your piston go back by adjusting the pressure you feed in them. With a combination of both of those, one can make very cool stuff: adjustable suspension (like on the swedish S tanks,...), Very powerful but slow lifters,... It would also add a kinda strategic stuff to robot fights: you can have very powerful crushers on your bot, but once the pressure hose is cut you are left with a dangling piece of once mighty weaponery that is now useless. Same goes with the tanks, valves,...

III) easy tank tracks
What I mean by this is a module that you use having selected the wheels that will be part of the tracks assembly, and the game places a track the exact length that it needs, that can additionally mesh with cogs for better traction. I feel this would be better than the current "place a load of scaled hinges" in at least a few ways:
-it would be able to have more frictions that what hinges currently have
-it would be less glitchy: I've had "tracks" completely go through a wheel for no reason
-it can probably be made to be a lot less laggy than a lot of hinges
-it would always mesh with cogs, whereas it happened to me a few times that my tracks wouldn't mesh with cogs I used as motor wheels
-it would stay in place better, jerk a lot less and have more tension, do tanks would be a smoother ride.
However, I can imagine this being kinda hard to implement, sadly.

IV) easy covering
By this I mean panels, that you could drag like braces, to form nice, even, homeless surfaces, on which you can place stuff and that have a normal hotbox, not like bracecubes. This would be cool cosmetic wise, but it also plays a role in my suggestion number V. Hence:

V) a water sandbox (or even a level)
I know this has been requested a thousand times, and the devs said that it would be complicatedbut still.
I don't really like the watermods tendency to let everything float. I think everything should sink unless you make a waterthight "shell" that would allow a bigger volume for nearly the same wheight, allowing a contraption to float thanks to Archimedes law. However, Pierce a hole in it and water will flow in, thus making the ship sink.

That's it, but if you have more ideas on what I said feel free to comment, everything's can be discussed!

Edit: Props that are at flatangle by default would be great too, but that is in know way neede, it is just quality of life improvements.

Last edited:

Jüj

I can't see tank tracks getting support in vanilla, but your panel and pneumatic propositions are very interesting.

I really don't know about the tracks. On the one hand, i feel like it might be a bit too modern to fit the game. On the other hand, i think that a civilisation having found the key to infinite water is more advanced than us. I think most problemes would be codewise, to make them fit. A track can probably be easily textured to look ancient i guess. Thanks for your feedback!

I really don't know about the tracks. On the one hand, i feel like it might be a bit too modern to fit the game. On the other hand, i think that a civilisation having found the key to infinite water is more advanced than us. I think most problemes would be codewise, to make them fit. A track can probably be easily textured to look ancient i guess. Thanks for your feedback!
i think dedicated tracks are a bit to much, but having a tool/feature where you can drag a hinge in the editor, and the other hinges follow as if the physics where loaded would be great.

Last edited: