Advanced Anchor v0.3.2 [ID: 777][v0.45a]

New version (v0.3.2)! Just brings the block from Besiege v0.3 to v0.42b.

Before I get on to explaining how the mod works, I'm just gonna shamelessly plug my brand-new Patreon page.
So. I need money, you want mods; if you feel like supporting my work and want something out of it at the same time, why not become a patron? For only $10/mo, you can tell me all your cool mod ideas and I'll do my best to make them a reality. Sound good? If so, just head on over here, click "Become a patron" and pledge $10 or more. As soon as it goes through, fire away! I'll let you know what's doable and what's not, and when I'm done you get access to it before anyone else.
Those of you who might be about to grab your pitchforks over 'paid mods', don't worry! I'll still release everything for free, but if you want to make your ideas a reality or want to get my mods first, this is how you can do it.

I've been in the Slack modding group for a while, so I figured I might as well make something quick and easy to release while I work on my resource networking API.
So this is the advanced anchor (aka 'Gyro' ingame)! It's a fairly simple block - put it down somewhere on your machine, and it will try to stop itself from rotating and/or moving in whichever directions YOU choose. This basically makes it the mod equivalent of using NPCs to help keep stuff steady. Unlike NPCs however, this block can be toggled on and off with 'U' by default, and set to start on or off, not to mention its compact size and ability to restrict rotation in the vertical axis or lateral movement.

As with all other block mods, this requires the Modloader.

Attachments

Last edited:
when you toggle it does it lerp to the original rotation or lock in the current one? both those options would be useful I think to people who want to use this block.

Cheers,

TheGuysYouDespise said:
when you toggle it does it lerp to the original rotation or lock in the current one? both those options would be useful I think to people who want to use this block.

Cheers,

It locks current one

The block works by getting a reference to its rigidbody, then toggling the freezeRotation property and nothing more. I'd try to put in something with applying torque instead of simply disabling rotation, but when I tried it made the sandbox self-destruct.

New version! The anchor now works based on Unity's constraints system rather than rigidbody.freezeRotation, so it can now lock its position and rotation along any axis and in any combination. So eg. by locking x/y rotation you can build cars that won't tip over, or locking the z position (vertical axis) and all rotation you can make very stable weapons platforms for the bottomless level. More details (and a word of caution) are in the main post.

I cant grab it from the mod list, it grabs a normal wooden block? And the icon shows as a wooden block. And if it is just an update problem, please update? :D

Last edited:
@Terrmany I haven't updated the anchor, nor do I intend to until the next version of the blockloader is out. I'm curious though about it showing up as a wood block; can you post a screenshot?
That said, if A. you're running v0.3 (NOT v0.32) with everything installed correctly, and B. you really want to use the anchor, I'll post an update for you.

@Terrmany I haven't updated the anchor, nor do I intend to until the next version of the blockloader is out. I'm curious though about it showing up as a wood block; can you post a screenshot?
That said, if A. you're running v0.3 (NOT v0.32) with everything installed correctly, and B. you really want to use the anchor, I'll post an update for you.
I am running v.3 yes, but here is a screenie for you. :D

Attachments

@TheBesiegeEngineer the anchor involves so little code that it'll probably keep working until the next major port or rewrite of Besiege. I'm not changing the version in the thread title though since I haven't at least updated the internal version.