A few important ideas that I think have been overlooked

*In order of importance*

1. Multiple Key Bindings - The ability to bind more than one key to a specific action (eg. either A or D can cause a single wheel to accelerate). Quite a few times I have been playing besiege and have stopped to think of how useful this function would be, it would make steering and building large walkers a whole lot easier, and would generally lower the number of keys required to control a machine, making using it a lot simpler for both the creator and those download it. I feel like this would be relatively easy to implement into the game, but would have to have a simple and efficient interface (maybe click to assign a single key just like before, but shift click to assign more keys after that).

2. Clocks - The ability to rig specific actions to autonomously happen at regular intervals. This would be a place-able object, about the size and shape of a single block square armor plate, and looks like wall mounted clock (or something similar, whatever fits with the general aesthetic theme of the game). How this mechanic would work is that every successive clock would be given a title (eg. Clock 1, Clock 2, Clock 10 etc.) and then other moving parts could then be bound to these clocks as they are keys (eg. Clock 3 makes wheel go forward, H makes wheel go backward). The actual interface with the clock would be as follows: There would be two sliders (just like in other mechanical blocks) each ranging from 0.1 seconds to 5 or 10 seconds. The first slider changes how long the clock activates its bound action for, and the second changes how long it deactivates its bound action for. This means that the clock would activate its bound action for a certain amount of time, deactivate it for a certain amount of time and then activate it again in a loop. What this would look like is a piston extending for 1.5 seconds, then retracting for 4 seconds and then extending for another 1.5 seconds and so on. This function would be completely autonomous of the player, but you would also be able to bind a key to pause the clock's loop at any given point, within the clocks interface. It will be push once to play the clock's loop, and push again to pause it's loop. If the Devs were to also implement the first idea as well, it would have to be up to them to decide if the player is able to bind multiple clocks to the same action, or even both a clock and a key to the same action, for the betterment of the game.

3. Constant Actions - The ability to bind an action not to activate on the press of a key, but constantly. Similar to the spinning block but chosen by the player, instead of choosing a key to activate an action you can just choose 'const'. What this would look like is a spring activating as soon as you test your machine, and staying activated until you go back to the build menu. Simple idea, not to hard to add to the game I would think, just something that would be useful and would reduce the number of buttons need to press to operate your machine.

Also object an oriented camera function, where the camera follows both the position and orientation of the origin block.
I know its been said a million times, but a wanted to put it in here because I think its an important change.

1 has been suggested repeatedly, and there's a mod for it in the works
2 is very interesting. I like it.
By 3, you essentially mean adding a toggle mode to wheels and such? I'm actually surprised I haven't seen that specific suggestion before, I've thought about suggesting it myself. The deal with it is that the devs would have to rearrange the way save files and the wrench GUIs are implemented(the current structure of both allows only one slider and one toggle) and that's always annoying to make work consistently. I don't doubt that they'll eventually add this, but it might not be until the games in beta.

YES! Ditto so much!

For those who dont know me (atm everybody), I am a passionate Besiege player who joined this forum today with the sole purpose of being vocal with my own opinion.

With regards to well... everything under the key mapper function, I would personally love it if there was a 'advanced' section for most blocks. In which you would be able to customise things such as Multi Key Binding, Clocks/Timers, And constant actions (though perhaps this should be in 'main'). For what I can see is something that the majority of people want is, put simply, more, detailed, intricate control over their creations.
In order to give players this wanted intricate control over their machines a large number of options such as Key bindings, clocks/timings, min and max values, etc. to name a few. I could be completely wrong here but surely it would be easier/better? to have a the key mapper tool screen with a main and advanced section?

Aditionaly with regards to the Constant Actions personally I think it would be nice to have it so you can set an object as 'on' by default but then turns off when a key is pressed. So basicly instead of onkeypress['key'] (object.state = true) have onkeypress['key'] (object.state = false) I know that that's not actual code but you get the idea.
And with pistons (and any other objects applicable in this way), in the builder when constant actions turned on with a bock such as a piston, the piston should, in the builder, extend. That way you can build machines that i.e. have legs that get shorter when a key is pressed, or springs that (opposite of contract, release?) when a key is pressed. I dont know about everything else but personaly I think it would be great if this was added!

As for Clocks, personally I think this would be better as a setting rather than a block, though if you really wanted you could make it so that you had to place a 'clock block' in order to use that setting.

As for Multiple Key Bindings, how about as well as multiple keys being able to acctivate something - how about multiple keys being needed to be preddes in order to do something? i.e. U, nothing. J, nothing. U+J, something.

Lastly, I am thinking about posting a comprehensive list of changes that I think would be nice to see implemented in the game, 90% of the list will probably already have been mentioned. Is it worth me doing this?

Perhaps some if this may be covered in mods, but really it would be nice to see it in the game.

Please let me know what you think! (especially developers)

ITR

l̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ֍̫̜̥̭͖̱̟̟͉͙̜̰ͅl̺̤͈̘̰̺͉̳͉̖̝̱̻̠̦͈ͅ
Staff member
tecosaur said:
Aditionaly with regards to the Constant Actions personally I think it would be nice to have it so you can set an object as 'on' by default but then turns off when a key is pressed. So basicly instead of onkeypress['key'] (object.state = true) have onkeypress['key'] (object.state = false) I know that that's not actual code but you get the idea.
And with pistons (and any other objects applicable in this way), in the builder when constant actions turned on with a bock such as a piston, the piston should, in the builder, extend. That way you can build machines that i.e. have legs that get shorter when a key is pressed, or springs that (opposite of contract, release?) when a key is pressed. I dont know about everything else but personaly I think it would be great if this was added!
I think the togglemore mod used to do this, but I don't think I updated that.

tecosaur said:
Lastly, I am thinking about posting a comprehensive list of changes that I think would be nice to see implemented in the game, 90% of the list will probably already have been mentioned. Is it worth me doing this?
Just use the search function to see if the stuff has been suggested before, then either comment that you support it on a post that has suggested it already, or keep it on the list if it hasn't been suggested ;-)