Recent content by AxeSlash

1. AxeSlash

In the block settings window, what does the button above the keybind do?

It hides the control in the Key Mapper and makers the simulation ignore that key. Useful for cleaning up the Key Mapper.
  2. AxeSlash

Automatic Stabilization thru Vector Entanglement Tutorial

I would assume that was it's original intended purpose, yes. Personally I think positive & negative balloons work better.
  3. AxeSlash

Constant-velocity joint mod [Spaar`s Modloader][v0.42b]

CV joint is the name of a particular type of joint that allows you to connect two axles at angles to each other and still have them rotate. The 'constant velocity' bit refers to the fact that it's different from a Universal Joint, which does the same, but actually introduces small cyclic...
  4. AxeSlash

Automatic Stabilization thru Vector Entanglement Tutorial

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but something people should be aware of about these stabilisers: they tilt gradually over the course of a longish flight in the current version of Besiege. Eventually it's tilted a lot and you can't right it - the plane that they stabilise in is no longer...
  5. AxeSlash

6DOF Demonstrator

Suddenly, everything becomes clear. This is awesome. We just need someone to code a tool to make these corrections easier *looks slyly at the Visual Studio icon on his desktop* Ah. I didn't really think of that scenario. Point taken.
  6. AxeSlash

Spinning Brace Torque bug

I think you need to re-read the thread a little. Try this: make a machine that has a wheel with a ballast attached to the wheel. Set the weight of the ballast to be the weight of 1 brace (0.5). Now make a 2nd identical machine, remove the ballast, and put a brace in it's place instead. When...
  7. AxeSlash

6DOF Demonstrator

So, being an old bloke, many years ago I used to play a game called Descent. Descent's main feature was that the player's ship had full 6 Degrees Of Freedom movement - forwards/backwards, up/down, strafe left/right, pitch, yaw, and roll (this was a first, at the time). This is my attempt at...
  8. AxeSlash

Update: Spinning blocks, steering blocks, and saws all also have this bug, so it looks like the problem is definitely with the concept of spinning a brace, not with the wheels or blocks This bug is ASYMMETRICAL IN CONTRA-ROTATING COAXIAL SYSTEMS! I.e. if you have two wheels spinning in...
  9. AxeSlash

Better COM Mod [Besiege v0.4]

COM position is now updated when you drag a ballast mass slider, BUT when you manually type a value into the mass box, COM doesn't get updated until you start/stop the simulation. Also, any chance of another deceimal place for the position (e.g. 0.00 instead of 0.0)? Thanks
  10. AxeSlash

Helicopters & realistic swashplates

I'm at work atm so can't check this out, but are you using pistons for the cyclic/collective? If so have you managed to combat the 'bounciness' that they cause? Also a) it's probably phase lag rather than precession that you're seeing, and b) I would be gobsmacked if Besiege accurately modelled...
  11. AxeSlash

I am also wondering if a combination of this bug + the symmetry brace bug (sometimes the 4th brace doesn't get placed) is the source of unwanted yaw in coax rotor systems...maybe it affects the spinning block as well. Maybe brace length affects the power - most of my coax designs are based on...
  12. AxeSlash

Mod/Block Ideas/Thoughts

Scaling gears up slightly with EasyScale often helps them to mesh better.
  13. AxeSlash

Further research shows that adding braces actually increases the power of the wheel. I made a vehicle that holds boulders - without any braces on the wheels, it can carry 25 boulders up the ramp in the sandbox WITH braces on the wheels, it will carry 54 boulders up the ramp! So that's over...
  14. AxeSlash

You're right. If I delete the unpowered wheels, the problem persists - it's the braces that are the issue. Make this and see what happens: It also happens with cogs, so it's definitely the braces that are at fault. This makes me wonder if some new engine could be created by exploiting the...
  15. AxeSlash

TL;DR: Attaching a brace to anything that spins causes extra unwanted torque. This torque is NOT symmetrical across counter-rotating coaxial systems (making it impossible to create a coaxial helicopter that doesn't yaw unnecessarily [without active compensation, anyway]. Skip to post #8 for a...